I'm an Aerospace Engr major, What SFs should I choose?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
spartanA94

I'm an Aerospace Engr major, What SFs should I choose?

Post by spartanA94 »

Hello,
I'm applying to SMART this year for the first time(I'm an undergrad), and I've been reading some of the posts on this forum, trying to get a feel for the experiences others have had with the program. I will admit, initially I was wooed by the PR lingo on any site talking about the SMART scholarship (please forgive me, I'm still very naive to this program).

However, I am disappointed to hear that so many people are dissatisfied with their SMART experience, and that so few have positive experiences to report. I also do realize that people genuinely having a good experience with SMART may not necessarily feel the inclination to write about it on these forums.

But here are my goals:
I am in fact searching for a rigorous research engineering experience, and I would very much like to work at a Sponsoring Facility that is hard at work on novel projects that will advance my field. I do expect to be doing experimental/prototype engineering work both as an intern and during my commitment years, and I care very much that I am intellectually challenged by the research I participate in.
I am not merely looking for a job after college. Pay is important to me, but is not my main motivator. As long as I can cover living expenses (with a little extra to pursue private projects), and tackle new and difficult projects for the DoD, I will be more than content.
I have multiple research interests, so after my commitment I will most likely be returning to school, which is why it is important that I keep my skills sharp during my time at the DoD facilities. I definitely want to continue writing technical reports and research papers on the work that we do, and I will be searching for any opportunities within the organization to get on projects testing new technologies or integrating new technologies into existing systems.

I have been reading posts about Sponsoring Facilities that aren't utilizing their SMART scholars to do much meaningful work, but I will independently research any Facilities I finally settle upon to find out for myself what they are doing. I do understand that SF selection is based upon their individual needs and I may not get my preference, but I would still like an opinion:

Can anyone, from their experience, recommend any research laboratories that provided you with a challenging environment?
Any and all comments, gripes, or praise for said institutions are welcome, as I would like to get a holistic picture before making my final preference selections.

Thank you all very much for your consideration.

Larry

Re: I'm an Aerospace Engr major, What SFs should I choose?

Post by Larry »

Google is your friend.

You will quickly find the Army/USAF/Navy research organizations that have positions similar to what you are seeking. The challenge is finding the position in the organization, and more importantly the supervisor/deciding official that controls the position.

Armed with that information you can reach out to them by email, phone, personal visit and accomplish two things prior to selecting a SF: 1) decide if you want to work there, 2) enable them to decide if they want to take a chance on you.

YMMV,
Larry