Summer internship waived?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Dannyjwhite10

Summer internship waived?

Post by Dannyjwhite10 »

Hello everyone,

I am an electrical engineering student (junior) currently applying to the SMART program. I participated in the NREIP internship program. After completion of the internship I was brought on to work as a part time contractor at the same facility. This location will be my first choice because I enjoy my position and co-workers here and it is local. If possible I would like to keep my job as a contractor throughout my schooling career. Also my degree track has a fairly intense summer class program that would be difficult to complete working full time. Now to my question, has anyone had their summer internship waived? If so, for what reason? Or does anyone know what reasons they are looking for?

Bonus question!- I would like to go straight through to get my master’s so I am applying for the joint degree award. Any idea on how this affects my chances? Would I be better off applying for the bachelor’s then reapplying for the master’s when I get there?

Thanks ahead of time!

Larry

Re: Summer internship waived?

Post by Larry »

you should work through your future/former supervisor and the SMART rep at the site to lay out your dreams, desires, and demands... If they understand them that will help them ignore you, or champion you when it comes time to get you a slot. A good supervisor will be upfront and honest. If I was your future boss I'd approve it. What is really important is how well you did as an intern and how well you are doing as a student (and what School/program you are in).

ATB
Larry

Re: Summer internship waived?

Post by Guest »

I did 2 Internships and got the last one waived. The reason for the waiver was that I was getting paranoid about finishing my phd on time.