Contacted for interview?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
UMN2019

Contacted for interview?

Post by UMN2019 »

Have you been contacted by a SF for an interview? If so reply to the following questions.

1. Which Sponsoring Facility(s)?
2. How did they first contact you?
3. What was the interview process like?
4. What is your major?
5. What type of degree are you pursing (bachelor's, master's, PH. D)
6. Is there any other info you would like to share?

ANON123321

Re: Contacted for interview?

Post by ANON123321 »

Figured everyone is waiting for a reply so ill write something up real quick.

Have you been contacted by a SF for an interview? If so reply to the following questions.

Warner Robins Air Force Base

Email.
"Mr ANON123321 - A squadron at Warner Robins AFB has selected you for a position with
the SMART Scholar program. " .... please contact me for further information.

From the sound of it I was selected even before the interview.

The person told me what I would be doing overall during the summer and wanted to know about the experience I have so far.(I have 7+ years working alongside electrical engineers at this same SF)

4. What is your major?
Electrical Engineering

Joint bachelor's/master's

I figured I was already ahead of most people because of my years with the govt working alongside the people who are already electrical engineers.

UMN2019

Post by UMN2019 »

ANON123321 wrote:Figured everyone is waiting for a reply so ill write something up real quick.

Warner Robins Air Force Base

Email.
"Mr ANON123321 - A squadron at Warner Robins AFB has selected you for a position with
the SMART Scholar program. " .... please contact me for further information.

From the sound of it I was selected even before the interview.

The person told me what I would be doing overall during the summer and wanted to know about the experience I have so far.(I have 7+ years working alongside electrical engineers at this same SF)

4. What is your major?
Electrical Engineering

Joint bachelor's/master's

I figured I was already ahead of most people because of my years with the govt working alongside the people who are already electrical engineers.
Thanks for letting us know! That's super helpful and hopefully the rest of us get interviews too! Specifically ones where we have already been selected :)

Post by Guest »

Since the previous reply is sort of an abnormal, does anyone have an idea when other applicants without previous government experience will be contacted? This could be based off of experience or inside information.

Will they contact via email initially to schedule an interview? I am hoping so because I am currently working full time and would not be available to give an interview upon a non-scheduled call.

Post by Guest »

I had a few interviews last year so I can only speak of that experience and not the current year. Most sent emails asking to set up phone or Skype interviews. A couple called directly, but only to set up an official time for an interview so as not to put me on the spot.

Post by Guest »

I got contacted by phone yesterday to set up an official interview like the previous poster mentioned could happen. Given that, it seems like some of the sponsoring facilities at least are starting to look through the candidates.

Post by guest »

I am not a previous government employee, and I had my interview yesterday.

1. Which Sponsoring Facility(s)? - Aberdeen Proving Ground, Aberdeen MD
2. How did they first contact you? - Email
3. What was the interview process like? - Basically just asked me questions about my interests in CS, my goals, and some stuff from my application. Wasn't a technical interview, though other SF's may ask you CS questions
4. What is your major? - Computer Science and Political Science
5. What type of degree are you pursing (bachelor's, master's, PH. D) - Bachelors
6. Is there any other info you would like to share? - Interview was about 30 minutes long, and there were about 5 people asking questions.

nicky250

Post by nicky250 »

Robins AFB facility - Georgia

Email to let me know I will be receiving a phone interview sometime between 2/16 and 3/16

Have not yet been called

4. What is your major?
Received B.S. in Statistics
Masters: Statistical Computing, Data Mining Track

Masters

I also received an email from a facility in Ohio saying they saw my resume and wanted me to apply for a summer internship that was completely separate from SMART. It seems you have equal chance being seen by any facility. None of the facilities that have contacted me were on my preference list.

Guest1231

Post by Guest1231 »

- Air Force Technical Applications Center

- Called me directly to set up a phone interview

- It was pretty relaxed, they told me about what they did, asked me if it sounded like something I'd enjoy, asked if I would have any issues maintaining a top secret clearance and/or passing random drug tests.

4. What is your major?

Mechanical Engineering/Nuclear Engineering

Joint Bachelor/Master's

I was surprised how relaxed the interview process was. They said it was their first year in the SMART program, so hopefully that means they have meaningful roles in mind for their candidates. They said it would likely be mid-to-late April before I hear back :/

They also mentioned that there's a $1000/wk stipend during the summer internships, but I thought that was no longer a benefit with SMART. Anyone know?

chinhoe1010

Post by chinhoe1010 »

AFRL Eglin Air Force Base

Phone call to set up in person interview

List of questions similar to essay. Couple other questions like favorite class, or class you struggled most in. Goals...

Electrical Engineering

Bachelor's/Master's

super relaxed process

plexabit

Post by plexabit »

Software Quality, Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey
By email to set up a phone interview.
I don't know yet. I'll just edit this post when it happens.
4. What is your major?
Computer Science.
Master's degree.
Will update once the interview process finishes.

Anon011011

Post by Anon011011 »

NAVAIR (NAWCWD), Point Mugu, CA

Direct phone interview

The interviewer explained about the facility and the place.

4. What is your major?
Electrical engineering

PhD

6. Is there any other info you would like to share
Though the interview call without prior notice took me by surprise, the whole thing was super relaxed.
Last edited by Anon011011 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenzmurph

Post by kenzmurph »

Anon011011 wrote:1. Which Sponsoring Facility(s)?
NAVAIR (NAWCWD), Point Mugu, CA

Direct phone interview

The interviewer explained about the facility and the place. More of convincing to join their facility than assessing me

4. What is your major?
Electrical engineering

PhD

6. Is there any other info you would like to share
Though the interview call without prior notice took me by surprise, the whole thing was super relaxed.
Did you get the call yesterday? If so, that will keep those of us who have yet to hear back hopeful.

Anon011011

Post by Anon011011 »

kenzmurph wrote: Did you get the call yesterday? If so, that will keep those of us who have yet to hear back hopeful.
Yes. Just got another email today from SPAWAR Systems Center Atlantic, SC. to schedule an interview. So they are not done with it yet.

Thanks
Last edited by Anon011011 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theccres

Post by theccres »

Missile Defense Agency: Integration & Operations Center

They called me wanting to setup and interview time.

It was a conference call with four other members. We all did general introductions then gave me an overview of the facility. Next we proceed into about 30 minutes of questions ranging from why I would want to work there to some technical questions.

4. What is your major?
Computer & Information Technology

Bachelor's

All members in the call where friendly and where eager to answer my questions I had.

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

The Naval Oceanographic Office in MS

Via email. They said they wanted to have a phone interview for a possible sponsorship with the SMART porgram.

Odd. They ask me maybe two questions about my skills, weren't too concerned about my work ethic, and then spent a good amount of time just telling me about what the job would entail and what it's like to live there. It was basically 30 minutes of 3 people asking a few questions and then talking to me about what it's like to live there.

4. What is your major?
Marine Science

Bachelor's

I got the email on 3/3 and had the phone interview on 3/4. The job sounds amazing so I'm really excited, but the recipients forum on here has me very wary of this whole program now. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones who gets the award, isn't lied to about the job and pay from the SF itself, and actually enjoys the job and the people.

anon01101

Post by anon01101 »

Got a call today from SMART asking me which facility I preferred among the ones that interviewed me.

Anyone else got the same call ?

Post by Guest »

I've had that call from the liaisons of the individual branches of the Armed Forces (e.g. Air Force, Navy, etc.) but not from the SMART program itself.

anon01101

Post by anon01101 »

Guest wrote:I've had that call from the liaisons of the individual branches of the Armed Forces (e.g. Air Force, Navy, etc.) but not from the SMART program itself.
OK. I did not get a call from any liaisons probably because all my interviews were from different facilities under the Navy. He said he doesn't know who interviewed me but said he wants to know my preferences if I did get a call from a facility outside of the 3 mentioned in my application (which I did).

Anon-one

Post by Anon-one »

anon01101 wrote:Got a call today from SMART asking me which facility I preferred among the ones that interviewed me.

Anyone else got the same call ?
I got the same call on March 17th. He said he was from SMART and something about being over all the navy bases. He asked who contacted me and what my preferences were. He told me that normally they send notice about the scholarship on April 1st, but it may not happen until the following week since April 1st is a Friday. Also he said that everyone will be notified regardless, so if you don't get it they will tell you instead of having to wait to find out.

ps5811

Post by ps5811 »

CERDEC, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD

By phone on 3/18 and then they sent a follow-up email for me to confirm interest and if I had any questions regarding accepting the opportunity.

Not much. They mentioned what they could about the organization I would be working for, discussed some of my background and then asked if I would be interested. Their concern was whether I was really interested or not primarily because I live on the West Coast and they are on the East Coast.

4. What is your major?
Information Technology

5. What type of degree are you pursing (bachelor's, master's, PH. D)?
I am pursuing an MS in IT-Info Assurance. I currently hold an MA in National Security Studies (Middle East Security); BA in Arabic Language and a BA in Intelligence Studies. I also minored in Info Assurance during my 1st undergrad.

I applied as a Retention Applicant. I have only received one phone call so far even though my current place of work is an SF but at the time of application, I wasn't employed with them so I don't know if I will get an offer from them at all. At the time of application, I was working for the Army but now I am working for the Air Force.

Post by guest »

I am a 3rd year Microbiology PhD. I got a call from a facility I had not interviewed with on 3/17 describing their work and asking if it would be something I would be interested in. There was no mention that I was definitely being recommended for funding by their agency, but I also thought sponsoring facilities would have already recommended candidates to SMART based on the timeline in previous years. I'm left wondering if this was a we recommended you, are you definitely interested call……..or a mini interview before final recommendations were made.

Post by Guest »

Hopeful wrote:1. Which Sponsoring Facility(s)?

Via email. They said they wanted to have a phone interview for a possible sponsorship with the SMART porgram.

Odd. They ask me maybe two questions about my skills, weren't too concerned about my work ethic, and then spent a good amount of time just telling me about what the job would entail and what it's like to live there. It was basically 30 minutes of 3 people asking a few questions and then talking to me about what it's like to live there.

4. What is your major?
Marine Science

Bachelor's

I got the email on 3/3 and had the phone interview on 3/4. The job sounds amazing so I'm really excited, but the recipients forum on here has me very wary of this whole program now. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones who gets the award, isn't lied to about the job and pay from the SF itself, and actually enjoys the job and the people.

Have you received a call from SMART asking for your preference? I had an interview with NAVO as well.

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

Guest wrote:
Hopeful wrote:1. Which Sponsoring Facility(s)?

4. What is your major?
Marine Science

Bachelor's

Have you received a call from SMART asking for your preference? I had an interview with NAVO as well.
Nope I haven't gotten that call but I'm not too concerned. I didn't interview with another SF and due to the specific nature/application of my degree I feel like most SFs wouldn't want me anyway. So I doubt I got more than one recommendation to choose a preference from. How did your interview go?

Post by Guest »

Defense Intelligence Agency
Phone call; left a message basically saying "Calling with regards to your app, here's my name and number, give me a call.
To be honest, a little awkward! I thought they would have more questions.

It sounded like they basically call you if they have one or two questions they want answered, and then ask you those and are like "okay, good luck!"
4. What is your major?
Biology/Microbiology
2nd year PhD
I put in my app a few other places as SFs, notably USAMRIID. But now these places are no longer on the list!

The forums have a few posts saying this happened a few years ago as well. And there aren't any people on the recipient forum that are at these SFs. It makes me wonder if they ever accept students! lol.

But happy to be in the top candidate pool, I wish everybody good luck!