2012 Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
beepee11

Re: 2012 Applicants

Post by beepee11 »

If you have not received a phonecall or email by now does that mean you were not selected for this year?

In_stitches

Post by In_stitches »

beepee11 wrote:If you have not received a phonecall or email by now does that mean you were not selected for this year?
Not at all. From what I gather, not all facilities will interview people, and not all interviewed will recieve an offer.

Sadly for us, we'll just have to wait!

BioGuest

Post by BioGuest »

Tomorrow marks the end of Evaluation Level 3, and the beginning of Evaluation Level 4:

February 1 - March 15 Evaluation Level 3
DoD Workforce Needs Assessment DoD agencies review and interview candidates with backgrounds and interests meeting the agency's workforce needs. Candidates determined to be a good fit for known DoD workforce needs are recommended for review by the SMART Program Office.

In recent years, approximately 1/4 of all candidates reviewed by DoD agencies were recommended for review by the SMART Program Office. All others are removed for award consideration.

March 15 - March 28 Evaluation Level 4
Program The SMART Program Office reviews application materials from and conducts phone interviews with, all candidates recommended for review by DoD agencies.

If we do not make it past Evaluation Level 3, will we hear about it tomorrow? Any guesses?
Thanks!

WaitingIsFun

Post by WaitingIsFun »

BioGuest wrote:Tomorrow marks the end of Evaluation Level 3, and the beginning of Evaluation Level 4:

February 1 - March 15 Evaluation Level 3
DoD Workforce Needs Assessment DoD agencies review and interview candidates with backgrounds and interests meeting the agency's workforce needs. Candidates determined to be a good fit for known DoD workforce needs are recommended for review by the SMART Program Office.

In recent years, approximately 1/4 of all candidates reviewed by DoD agencies were recommended for review by the SMART Program Office. All others are removed for award consideration.

March 15 - March 28 Evaluation Level 4
Program The SMART Program Office reviews application materials from and conducts phone interviews with, all candidates recommended for review by DoD agencies.

If we do not make it past Evaluation Level 3, will we hear about it tomorrow? Any guesses?
Thanks!
Would be nice to hear from someone who has been through the process before. With any sort of application process it is always pleasent to hear something early and often. Sitting out in the unknown is never fun. Especially for decisions or programs that are so impactful.

beepee11

Post by beepee11 »

Thanks my daughter received an email today saying she advanced to the next level

AAAAH

Post by AAAAH »

Can we get some details on that? An email from SMART or an email from one of the sponsoring facilities? Would you share what it said (with personal info removed, of course)?

Has anyone else recieved an email? I'm kind of freaking out here.

Post by Guest »

2012_umd wrote:

The Deputy Chief at the facility I interviewed with said that her deadline to submit recommendations was March 12th, so I would assume by the 15th they'll be back on schedule.
Just curious if anyone can corroborate that 12 March due-date.

Xenos2012

Post by Xenos2012 »

Yes, if you could provide the information from the email, it would be very helpful. I'm wondering whether everyone who moved on to the next round received one.

Is there any way for those of us who have not heard anything to tell whether we are still in the running?

12Guest12

Post by 12Guest12 »

I spoke with another facility and they said the submission date was March 12 as well.

AAAAH

Post by AAAAH »

Xenos2012 wrote:Yes, if you could provide the information from the email, it would be very helpful. I'm wondering whether everyone who moved on to the next round received one.

Is there any way for those of us who have not heard anything to tell whether we are still in the running?
I'm thinking that the email came from sponsoring facility, which means that not everyone would get one. This blog has consistently had a huge influx of posts whenever any official SMART emails go out, so an isolated post must not have been SMART-wide. But maybe that's just wishful thinking :(

PastAwardee

Post by PastAwardee »

I wouldn't take the deadline seriously, nothing that SMART does is ever on time. As award recipients, we are currently 2 weeks past the original deadline to schedule internships, and SMART hasn't even given us instructions yet.

If you haven't got a phone call yet, don't panic.

beepee11

Post by beepee11 »

This is what my daughter received. Hope this helps.

XXX,

Congratulations, your SMART application has advanced in the SMART Scholarship selection process.

In this phase, DoD agencies are currently reviewing and interviewing candidates with backgrounds and interests meeting the agency’s workforce needs.

It is at the discretion of the DoD Sponsoring Facilities whether or not they will call applicants for an interview. Sponsoring Facilities do not contact us with information about phone interviews and contacts. They will determine scheduling of any interviews, whether by email or by phone.

Please note that all DoD agencies have access to all SMART applications during this evaluation phase. You may be contacted for an interview by one or more facilities, even those who were not listed in the Placement Preferences section of your application.

Award notifications are expected to go out in mid-April.

Status notifications emails were sent to applicants on February 15. You should have received an email to this effect:

Subject: SMART Scholarship Notification

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear XXXX,

We are pleased to inform you that your application has been reviewed and you are eligible for the next phase of the Department of Defense (DoD) SMART scholarship selection process. As part of this process, you may be contacted for an interview.

The 2012 SMART Scholarship-for-Service awards will be announced on or about April 9, 2012. This email is not a promise of an award.

Please be advised that the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) is the only entity that can officially inform you of your award status.

We congratulate you on your success thus far. If you have any questions, please contact us at smart@asee.org.

On behalf of the DoD,

Thank you,

ASEE SMART Scholarship Team
SMART Scholarship Program

Forward this email

This email was sent to smart@asee.org by smart@asee.org |

Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.

SMART Scholarship Program | ASEE | 1818 N Street NW Ste 600 | Washington | DC | 20036

Best regards,

The ASEE SMART Program Team

c/o American Society for Engineering Education

1818 N St. NW

Suite 600

Washington, DC 20036

Email: smart@asee.org

really anxioussssss

Post by really anxioussssss »

So, I was advanced to the second round for this scholarship (and I was super stoked when I got this e-mail)--this was received on February 15th. Today marks the end of evaluation level 3. Since I was notified about making the 50% cut, I have been sitting on the edge of my seat EVERY day. I've read everyone's posts, and know that I should just patiently wait. But it's SO hard seeing the "DoD SMART Eval #x" on my calendar, without having heard anything. I am totally glued to my phone/e-mail, and nothing. Ugh. I hate the suspense!!!!

:-/

doing work

Post by doing work »

really anxioussssss wrote:So, I was advanced to the second round for this scholarship (and I was super stoked when I got this e-mail)--this was received on February 15th. Today marks the end of evaluation level 3. Since I was notified about making the 50% cut, I have been sitting on the edge of my seat EVERY day. I've read everyone's posts, and know that I should just patiently wait. But it's SO hard seeing the "DoD SMART Eval #x" on my calendar, without having heard anything. I am totally glued to my phone/e-mail, and nothing. Ugh. I hate the suspense!!!!

I feel your pain friend.

mrbill333

Post by mrbill333 »

doing work wrote:
really anxioussssss wrote:So, I was advanced to the second round for this scholarship (and I was super stoked when I got this e-mail)--this was received on February 15th. Today marks the end of evaluation level 3. Since I was notified about making the 50% cut, I have been sitting on the edge of my seat EVERY day. I've read everyone's posts, and know that I should just patiently wait. But it's SO hard seeing the "DoD SMART Eval #x" on my calendar, without having heard anything. I am totally glued to my phone/e-mail, and nothing. Ugh. I hate the suspense!!!!

I feel your pain friend.
I can understand that as well. I started an internship last summer, not very committed to research, and just wanted to make money and to add a resume bullet. After the internship, I knew I found the perfect career for me and continued after the summer through this year. To me, getting the SMART internship not only would include a generous stipend, but would guarantees me a spot within a DoD research lab. I understand that some would say that government research doesn't pay well or their experiences with being hired on were less than satisfactory, but my experience with my elevated status throughout my internship has shown me that I would extremely enjoy the career. I hope to hear from ASEE sometime in the coming weeks. It has driven me crazy and it took every ounce of restraint to not pry through the organization to obtain some information about my status.
Last edited by mrbill333 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

veryanxioussssss

Post by veryanxioussssss »

mrbrill,
So are you currently working with the DoD doing the summer internships? Were you already awarded a scholarship from a previous year? Or did you apply this year? I'm a bit confused..

mrbill333

Post by mrbill333 »

veryanxioussssss,

No I have not. yet, received a SMART scholarship. My internship is a summer was a competitive 10 week summer internship.

sotired

Post by sotired »

so I'm guessing they won't send an email out - anyone received a phone call from SMART yet confirming eligibility, etc aside from the interview?

I haven't received an interview and am waiting for communication from them.

WaitingIsFun

Post by WaitingIsFun »

sotired wrote:so I'm guessing they won't send an email out - anyone received a phone call from SMART yet confirming eligibility, etc aside from the interview?

I haven't received an interview and am waiting for communication from them.
I wouldn't expect anything until the April 9th or shortly after when they make scholarship announcements. Anything before then would be a pleasant surprise in my mind.

totolin

Post by totolin »

I'll provide my timeline for reference. Hopefully you guys will do the same.
12/23/11 application submitted
02/15/12 "eligible for the next phase" email received
03/06/12 telephone interview with a lab with favorable result. They say they will recommend me for fellowship.(but i didn't get it in writing or anything)

Haven't heard anything after 03/06/12.

detroitsaab93

Post by detroitsaab93 »

12/20/11ish application submitted
02/15/12 "eligible for the next phase" email received
03/13/12 telephone interview with a lab. They say they will recommend me for fellowship also and I also didn't get it in writing

BrettB

Post by BrettB »

Well, heard from sponsoring facility that recommended me today letting me know that funding from SMART was not there for my position even though they thought I was well qualified, enjoyed our phone interview, and hoped I would look for employment there upon graduation.

Requested 1 year of PhD funding.

Good luck to those who are left.

totolin2

Post by totolin2 »

BrettB,
Thanks for your information though it is very helpful. Now I know that even if you are recommended there is a chance that you will not get funded due to lack of funding. I am sorry for the news though. But at least when you graduate you will have a SF that will be willing to hire you, and you will also have more room for salary/benefit negotiation since you are not contractually bound to work for them.

LeSigh

Post by LeSigh »

totolin2 wrote:BrettB,
Thanks for your information though it is very helpful. Now I know that even if you are recommended there is a chance that you will not get funded due to lack of funding. I am sorry for the news though. But at least when you graduate you will have a SF that will be willing to hire you, and you will also have more room for salary/benefit negotiation since you are not contractually bound to work for them.
Or you could have read the timeline, which expressly stated that of those recommended for a SMART scholarship, only about 66% would actually receive an award for reasons of changes to award length, degree type or available funds, etc...

Why don't people read?

And sorry to BrettB above about not being selected. Better luck in future applications elsewhere or if you reapply next year.

smart_hopeful

Post by smart_hopeful »

Just in case readers might not know, registration is not required for this forum, so if you have interesting info to post, you don't have to worry about hassle.

It's a little disheartening that someone applying for just 1 year Ph.D. funding was denied, and even more so to see that the future funding situation is so sketchy. Still, at least we now know that at least some notifications (albeit negative ones) are going out early, so maybe we won't have to hold our breaths till April. Keep us updated...