Smart is unprofessional.

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Stephen

Smart is unprofessional.

Post by Stephen »

The Smart scholarship is the most unprofessional organization I have ever seen. They continue to delay every deadline they set by massive amounts of time. They also continue to keep all of the applicants out of the loop with whats happening. I understand that the sequestration is affecting everybody, but they need to tell us what the situation is. It is very unproefessional of them to not even give us a clue what is going on. I know their are rumors that the awards will go out this week, but that is the problem. These shouldn't be rumors, the Smart organization should be apologizing and giving new solid dates. If anyone tried this at a normal job, they would be fired. I understand they are doing "their best" but they need to communicate whats going on.

BOBBERT

Re: Smart is unprofessional.

Post by BOBBERT »

Stephen,

Welcome to the United States Government! It's all downhill from here if you want professionalism. I'll be out of the government sector the day that my commitment ends, not a second later.

hopefullywaiting

Post by hopefullywaiting »

I do wish they would keep us posted as well. Things are on hold for me at the moment because I'm waiting on this scholarship announcement and its really annoying....

EEmajor

Post by EEmajor »

I also have quite a bit on hold waiting for this, including which classes to take, I'm not going to be a happy camper if classes I would take with scholarship are full because of lack of timing!!

Fingers-Crossed

Post by Fingers-Crossed »

Why does this scholarship make a difference in what classes you'd take? Are you charged by the class or do different classes cost different amounts?

I agree that it is really difficult to have this completely vague wait on something that can make significant changes to our plans. I really wish they'd figure out a way to get back to the old time frame of making awards by the end of March. It's especially hard on grad students because most school admission decisions are required to be made by April 15th. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had to decide "Do I take the funding from a 2nd rate school or accept my 1st choice school and REALLY hope this scholarship comes through?" I chose to risk it (obviously that's why I'm here) because I really want to go to my first choice school, but a lot of people suggested I take the funding I knew I had. Which makes me wonder how many people SMART loses because they take so long to make their final decisions.

Unfortunately, they hold all the cards. Although they may lose a few through the waiting game, the truth is they have plenty more qualified candidates to take their place. So, there's little incentive for them to hurry up, we'll just be here waiting...

EEmajor

Post by EEmajor »

It makes a difference on classes because I'm a retention candidate. I work full time for DOD now and go to school in the evening part time, If I get this scholarship I will be able to attend day classes full time. I'm really praying for this so that I don't have to work all week and attend classes 4 nights a week. It's been a long 4 years so far and it will be a long 3 more if I don't get it!!

Fingers-Crossed

Post by Fingers-Crossed »

Ahh, gotcha!

Best of luck!

Post by Guest »

Potentially.. tomorrow is the day...

kingofhearts31

Post by kingofhearts31 »

Unfortunately, my contact at SF told me that the program is waiting for final approval from the office of secretary of defense (OSD). There is no time frame as to when this approval will come. So, there is no hope of getting it anytime soon :(

SmartGuest

Post by SmartGuest »

You lie! We will know tomorrow.

currentfed

Post by currentfed »

SmartGuest wrote:You lie! We will know tomorrow.
Such confidence! It would be cool if you're right, though I'm not putting any money on it. The rumor mill at my SF says that the DoD will be announcing their final decision on the number of furlough days we have to take. Since both # of furlough days and # of SMART scholars is tied the the post-sequestration budget... maybe we'll hear something?

hopefullyWaiting

Post by hopefullyWaiting »

We can only hope, I have my doubts of finding out today...

Gambit1055

Post by Gambit1055 »

I also hold reservations on the anouncement being today. I have been holding off taking positions elsewhere due to this scholarship. The delays are costing me oportunity's, I will have to reconsider what I want when I go on an interview Monday morning. Then the governement wonders why there is a lack of stem workers in this country.

fish_

Post by fish_ »

correct me if i am wrong, but even if selected, you won't work at the SF this summer unless it is under another program. the committment to SMART would begin in August.

if you have an opportunity for a similar long-term agreement from somebody else, then these might apply:
- a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
- first come, first served

EEmajor

Post by EEmajor »

Well it's pretty safe to say that we get to continue wait, with no clear date to how long it will be, maybe next week. I love the anxiety this causes for many people!!

newbo

Post by newbo »

Wasn't the last email update from smart sent out around 4 or 5 pm? Maybe still hope.

kingofhearts31

Post by kingofhearts31 »

Its 5:00 PM eastern, which means there is no more hope for today :(

SmartGuest

Post by SmartGuest »

I guess you were right. They are a month late this time.

recipient99

Post by recipient99 »

The Smart scholarship is the most unprofessional organization I have ever seen.
Based on my experience, you can expect it only to get much worse when you move into phase 2.

The lack of professionalism is a systemic problem at my SF, also. I generally put it this way. In high school, I worked for McDonald's. In some ways, the professionalism at McDonald's surpassed that of my SF. This is not an exaggeration.

I am in the third year of the phase 2 commitment.

Gambit1055

Post by Gambit1055 »

One of these days, maybe????
How many applicant do you think they have lost do to the excesive delay's.

Post by Guest »

Gambit1055 wrote:One of these days, maybe????
How many applicant do you think they have lost do to the excesive delay's.
In the end, I think it's probably for the best. If those applicants don't like the excessive delays, they will be in for a world of pain when it comes to dealing with things like the onboarding process. Except at that point they're not as free to jump ship as they are in the applicant phase.

recipient99

Post by recipient99 »

Also - I just got done fetching mail. (I have a PhD, btw.)

Also - I'm getting ready to sign my furlough notice which will cut my (already uncompetitive) pay by 20%. Wasn't part of the agreement that the SMART program would provide me with a [full-time] job during phase 2? I guess that was just yet another misleading part of the contract. ('Misleading" here is an intended euphemism.)