GPA in Danger of Falling Below 3.0

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

GPA in Danger of Falling Below 3.0

Post by Guest »

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone will be able to shed some light on my situation. I am getting a BS and MS through SMART. I recently completed my bachelors (Mechanical Engineering) and am in my first semester of graduate school (studying applied math). Upon completing my bachelors my GPA was a 3.5, well above the 3.0 threshold. However, I am getting killed in graduate school. I have already dropped one course after failing a midterm and think I just failed another mid term. I have been talking to my point of contact at my SF, trying to get the okay to change my master's to Mechanical Engineering. If my change is approved will SMART hold my low GPA for this semester against me? Will I immediately be dismissed from the program? Is there any kind of probationary period?

Larry

Re: GPA in Danger of Falling Below 3.0

Post by Larry »

Good question and a reasonable strategy.

I actually don't know what policy is. I'll poke around but you should ask your SF to check via the Service Liaison to get it on the record.

For certain getting less than a 3.0 in grad school is sub-optimal and you'll need to take immediate steps (such as you've been undertaking) to fix it. Getting SMART to recognize you are in active control mode is the next step. Well done getting to this during the semester and not after the fact...

Larry

Re: GPA in Danger of Falling Below 3.0

Post by Guest »

Larry,

Thank you for the quick response. I don't believe I was ever given contact information for my service liaison. However, I will be in touch with my SF this week and obtain this information. I am certainly not taking this lying down. I have been doubling my efforts in my courses. I plan on making that very clear to both my SF and CA.