Worried About Negative Reviews

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
IronPhoenix

Worried About Negative Reviews

Post by IronPhoenix »

Hello everyone,

I have applied to the SMART scholarship and I got an email today that I moved on to the next phase of selections. I suppose I should be excited but as of late I have been reading through this forum and i have seen nothing but negative reviews about the jobs SMART scholars end up in.

I advertised myself as someone pursuing applied physics research. I will have a BS in engineering science with two minors in nanotechnology and physics and some research experience with a professor. The facilities I listed in my preferences include ARL's SEDD and WMRD, and AFRL's Materials and Manufacturing directorate.

If I get the opportunity to work for these facilities should I take it? What would I be doing there given my qualifications? Will I be doing something which actually draws on my technical knowledge or not?

Also I would appreciate if someone put things in perspective as to whether these negative reviews actually represent the majority of SMART experiences.

Re: Worried About Negative Reviews

Post by Guest »

Do you need the money desperately? If not, you might want to consider other funding options. That's really the thing you need to think about.

If I had to describe the overall mentality about the SMART program (on this forum, and among others in my cohort) I would say that the majority of people are unimpressed by their SF. Some really hate their SF. A few actually like where they end up. Of course, statistics will never be published because that would show what a phenomenal failure this program is in terms of participant retention and job satisfaction.

You really have to do your research but I should warn you that the initial interviews (and sometimes even the internship) can be deceiving. It's hard to judge before you're actually working there. By then, it's too late. If you want my suggestion, I would just assume that you're going someplace that you'll hate. Then you won't be disappointed.

If you can find some other way to pay for school, then I would stay away from SMART. If not, the SMART program could work for you. Good luck.

Post by Guest »

If the DoD was such a great organization to work for as a scientist, would they need to have this scholarship-for-service (bait and switch) program in the first place? Ask yourself how much scholarship money your future career and work satisfaction is worth to you and make your decision. I think this program is great for those merely seeking a steady pay check.
IronPhoenix wrote:Hello everyone,

I have applied to the SMART scholarship and I got an email today that I moved on to the next phase of selections. I suppose I should be excited but as of late I have been reading through this forum and i have seen nothing but negative reviews about the jobs SMART scholars end up in.

I advertised myself as someone pursuing applied physics research. I will have a BS in engineering science with two minors in nanotechnology and physics and some research experience with a professor. The facilities I listed in my preferences include ARL's SEDD and WMRD, and AFRL's Materials and Manufacturing directorate.

If I get the opportunity to work for these facilities should I take it? What would I be doing there given my qualifications? Will I be doing something which actually draws on my technical knowledge or not?

Also I would appreciate if someone put things in perspective as to whether these negative reviews actually represent the majority of SMART experiences.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Do you need the money desperately? If not, you might want to consider other funding options. That's really the thing you need to think about.
I'm one of the ones who love what I do. I get to make a difference. I know four other SMART Scholars at my SF that all love their jobs as well. All of us are PhDs and we all work in our areas of interest. But, it looks like most people don't. And, some on here hate it so bad, they want everyone else to hate it too. But, I agree with the above statement. I needed the money. I had a family of four. The construction market had just fallen off a cliff. And, I had an opportunity for a very interesting dissertation project. But, I couldn't afford to feed my family in southern CA for $17K a year. So, I took the scholarship because I needed it. It worked out for me. But, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't have to have the money.

Post by guest »

Apart from some of the glitches in the program, I have had a good experience as a SMART student so far. I am halfway through my third year in the program, and my SF is AFRL Sensor's Directorate. The only issues I've had are with the SMART program (some of the things you've heard on here.) Both of my summer internships at AFRL have been great, and I am working on exciting research which is also connected to a recent STTR.

I have heard good things about AFRL/RX (Materials and Manufacturing Directorate.) If you are selected, you should definitely consider taking it.

Post by Guest »

I've also had a good experience with my SF, although it isn't one of those you've listed. I'm a roboticist with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and am in Phase 2 (finished degree and am now in my "payback" period). I took the money and the guaranteed research position with my SF because that was the kind of opportunity I was looking for and it had the added bonus of being close to my immediate family. I was very, very lucky. Also, I was not particularly interested in becoming a professor or a consultant or working in industry or in a startup. So it worked out for me. I did have some of the issues others have described on this forum (stipend was late, changes in insurance allocations, issues with being considered self-employed in the eyes of the IRS) and certainly I'm not making the money that other people in other sectors do. However, I do interesting work that does make a difference, I do publish journal/conference papers and have work that's in the process of being patented. So, for me, it isn't "just a steady paycheck" because I get to do meaningful research I enjoy. But realize that this is not everyone's experience. I can't speak for people at other facilities, but at my SF there is a range of satisfaction. Some of us are happy and satisfied and some aren't, and I'd guess it's probably close to 50-50. Some of the unhappy ones leave after their service commitments are up. The majority of the people at my SF who've been through SMART on the recruitment side are PhDs, so I don't know how job satisfaction compares elsewhere, and this may not be relevant to someone pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree.

So just to echo what was said earlier, if you need the money and don't have other funding, then this may work out for you. On the plus side, if you receive an offer and take it, you have a job at the end of your degree and you don't have to stress about finding one. On the minus side, you may not like that job, it may be in a part of the country where you don't want to live, it may not pay as well as those in industry, you'll likely have to deal with procedures/training/forms you find frustrating (this is the government after all), etc. This is a scholarship for service program and comes with strings attached. Seeing as how you've made the first cut, you can see what happens next and whether or not one of your preferred labs contacts you.

Good luck to you.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I've also had a good experience with my SF, although it isn't one of those you've listed. I'm a roboticist with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and am in Phase 2 (finished degree and am now in my "payback" period). I took the money and the guaranteed research position with my SF because that was the kind of opportunity I was looking for and it had the added bonus of being close to my immediate family. I was very, very lucky. Also, I was not particularly interested in becoming a professor or a consultant or working in industry or in a startup. So it worked out for me. I did have some of the issues others have described on this forum (stipend was late, changes in insurance allocations, issues with being considered self-employed in the eyes of the IRS) and certainly I'm not making the money that other people in other sectors do. However, I do interesting work that does make a difference, I do publish journal/conference papers and have work that's in the process of being patented. So, for me, it isn't "just a steady paycheck" because I get to do meaningful research I enjoy. But realize that this is not everyone's experience. I can't speak for people at other facilities, but at my SF there is a range of satisfaction. Some of us are happy and satisfied and some aren't, and I'd guess it's probably close to 50-50. Some of the unhappy ones leave after their service commitments are up. The majority of the people at my SF who've been through SMART on the recruitment side are PhDs, so I don't know how job satisfaction compares elsewhere, and this may not be relevant to someone pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree.

So just to echo what was said earlier, if you need the money and don't have other funding, then this may work out for you. On the plus side, if you receive an offer and take it, you have a job at the end of your degree and you don't have to stress about finding one. On the minus side, you may not like that job, it may be in a part of the country where you don't want to live, it may not pay as well as those in industry, you'll likely have to deal with procedures/training/forms you find frustrating (this is the government after all), etc. This is a scholarship for service program and comes with strings attached. Seeing as how you've made the first cut, you can see what happens next and whether or not one of your preferred labs contacts you.

Good luck to you.
That's fair, it's a case-by-case thing, I'm glad some departments are publishing/still doing research...many are just in the role of project management. Anyway my question is why are there so many SMART scholars accepting PhD funding? Aren't PhDs usually free of tuition and paid a stipend?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:That's fair, it's a case-by-case thing, I'm glad some departments are publishing/still doing research...many are just in the role of project management. Anyway my question is why are there so many SMART scholars accepting PhD funding? Aren't PhDs usually free of tuition and paid a stipend?
Student Research Assistantship ~ $15-20K / year + Tuition
SMART Scholarship 2010 Cohort for PhD after passing Quals ~ $57,200/year + Tuition + health insurance

anon011

Post by anon011 »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:That's fair, it's a case-by-case thing, I'm glad some departments are publishing/still doing research...many are just in the role of project management. Anyway my question is why are there so many SMART scholars accepting PhD funding? Aren't PhDs usually free of tuition and paid a stipend?
SMART Scholarship 2010 Cohort for PhD after passing Quals ~ $57,200/year + Tuition + health insurance
How did you get $57,200 when the salary range is between $25,000 - $38,000 per year depending on degree pursuing ? Did you include payments during internship at the SF ?

2010wasAlongTimeAgo

Post by 2010wasAlongTimeAgo »

anon011 wrote:
Guest wrote:
How did you get $57,200 when the salary range is between $25,000 - $38,000 per year depending on degree pursuing ? Did you include payments during internship at the SF ?
I was a 2010 cohort and the internship rate was $1200/week and after you passed your quals there was a 10% increase from 38000 to 41800. I had already passed my quals and took 12 week internships. $41800 + $1200x12 + $1000 books