Phase 2 report

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Phase 2 report

Post by Guest »

Has anyone else seen this phase 2 report they want us to fill out now? Is this the most pointless form you have ever seen, or what? What are they going to do with that ridiculous collection of information?

Also, the email that went out was very "you are required" this and "due before" that. Whatever, they have no leg to stand on. We all have jobs, our SF's don't give two **** about the SPO, and we aren't going to get into trouble. So, how about the SPO be a little more polite and stop acting like some kind of authority. Phase I is over.

Re: Phase 2 report

Post by Guest »

Yeah, I saw the email and attached report. In the email they said they are interested in hearing about our accomplishments and then they follow up with the "you are required to report"...

Nothing gets results like demanding.

SMART: Why don't you guys try to be a little friendlier in your attempt to gather data about the people who successfully completed Phase 1? I had a previous NASA internship and they still hit me up from time to time asking for updates in my career and education. I am happy to keep NASA up to date because they ask...not demand. I'm still invested in the NASA experience so I like to help the intern programs out any way I can.

On the other hand, SMART demands things, and requires things (new things that were never in my contract) and that's why I'm not so invested in my SMART experience. NASA was something to be proud of and encourage others about, SMART (NOTE: in the beginning I felt the same way about SMART as I still do about NASA) has become something to endure and "get through". Especially any interaction with the SPO.

Does the current SMART tone make me want to report on my "accomplishments"? No, it does not. I guess I'll play their game and submit my new, required, form but I think I'll keep my "accomplishments" to myself.

Post by Guest »

Here's what I've learned in the past 4 years: the only way the SMART program knows how to get results is either by threatening people or by lying to them - and that only gets you so far. I don't know what the point of the SMART program is, but it definitely isn't an attempt at recruiting long-term civil service employees. If it was, they wouldn't resort to scorched-earth tactics every time they want you to fill out a form. Additionally, most of the people working for the program don't have a formal education, so you can't expect very much from them in the way of soft skills...

CMMMM

Post by CMMMM »

The privacy act statement at the top of the form makes it look they are using this form to help their vague debt collection efforts.

Post by Guest »

Not only this, but the new handbook actually specifies that an annual report is to be completed through Phase 3!

dodengin

Post by dodengin »

Guest wrote:Not only this, but the new handbook actually specifies that an annual report is to be completed through Phase 3!
I noticed that! 10 YEARS of required reporting, which was certainly not mentioned in the contract I signed. I mean, the form only takes a few minutes to fill out, and I suppose it makes sense that they want to track our post-SMART careers for some data. But, it's the principle of being *required* to fill it out, when it was not included in the original contract. Very frustrating.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Not only this, but the new handbook actually specifies that an annual report is to be completed through Phase 3!
I don't think they can do anything to a Phase 3 person for noncompliance.

Post by Guest »

I went ahead and submitted my Phase 2 Report. Took me all of 5 minutes to write some crap and send it up the chain. I only have six weeks left of my Phase 2! Free at last, free at last!

CMMMM

Post by CMMMM »

^^
Congrats!!!

I'm just inside 13 months left now, but yeah, who's counting?