Sudden Dismissal/ Security Clearance

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
ESmith

Sudden Dismissal/ Security Clearance

Post by ESmith »

Last week I received a dismissal letter stating that they were unable to get me an interim clearance. My SF has been nearly entirely absent during the whole past year in relation to my security clearance process; pretty much the only thing I heard from them in that time frame was that me and others in my cohort were able to get an interim in time for an internship.

Reading through the handbook in section 3.2.8:
"If, near the end of the full adjudication process, the CAS renders a tentative
unfavorable determination regarding the scholar’s eligibility, the CAS will provide the scholar
with an official notice and the opportunity to respond to potential concerns (this notice may come
in the form of a “Statement of Reasons” (SOR) or other similar document)."

However, I never received any sort of request for an SOR or something similar. In fact, I haven't heard from anyone at all until my sudden dismissal. There wasn't even a notification of "final unfavorable determination" that would of put me in the place I am in now. I am currently just stupefied at what to do. On top of that, my SF POC hasn't gotten back to me on any questions I have asked about the clearance or their request for documentation that shows financial hardship that is current or will be caused by them smacking me with a ton of debt.

Overall I find the whole situation weird, and I am curious if there was some kind of miscommunication at some point.

Thank you for reading.

malarious

Re: Sudden Dismissal/ Security Clearance

Post by malarious »

Hello ESmith,

One of the facilities had this issue (one of the Shipyards). You did not near the end of your adjudication process, which is why you did not get the SOR. You failed to get an interim clearance, which is a very early stage process. Your facility then (stupidly) signed off on a dismissal. SMART had a kerfluffle with this, as the facility still wanted their scholars and are trying to make up for it.