Paying Back

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Guest56

Paying Back

Post by Guest56 »

If you break contract, do you have to pay back tuition or tuition + living stipend?

Guest0101

Re: Paying Back

Post by Guest0101 »

All of it.

Guest123

Post by Guest123 »

Guest0101 wrote:All of it.
Yes, every last penny SMART lists they paid you, which to them includes the normal stipend, the ISP's if you received them, wire transfer fees (if they also didn't listen to you and do direct deposits), tuition, and the health insurance stipends (don't remember if there was a book one too). In the award portal, they list out everything they have paid out to you.

Post by Guest »

I challenge you to find anyone who has ever had to pay back.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I challenge you to find anyone who has ever had to pay back.
Not the first time I've heard this but who would take the money and run?

Geust

Post by Geust »

Guest wrote:
Who wouldn't?

Post by Guest »

Geust wrote:
Guest wrote:
Who wouldn't?
Somebody with morals?

Guest111

Post by Guest111 »

One of my friends got it and worked for the Air Force at the Pentagon and did 2 years there. He decided it was too slow for him and withdrew from the program.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Guest111 wrote:
One of my friends got it and worked for the Air Force at the Pentagon and did 2 years there. He decided it was too slow for him and withdrew from the program.
Two years into working??? How many years was he funded for school? I can totally see people deciding government work isn't for them after their 2-5 years of funding are paid back...I can't imagine dropping out partway in.

guest314

Post by guest314 »

Lack of work, depressing atmosphere is definitely enough to drive some people out. It's your future at stake! Reminds me of a phenomena in Japan:
A banishment room (also known as a chasing-out-room and a boredom room) is a modern employee exit management strategy whereby employees are transferred to another department where they are assigned meaningless work until they become disheartened enough to quit.

LOL_DOD_QUIZZES

Post by LOL_DOD_QUIZZES »

If you drop out of the program, then the contract states you are liable for repayment of all funds.

I don't know how they pay current Phase I recipients, but when I was in Phase I I was paid as a contractor. I received a 1099 MISC and paid taxes on my stipend. So legally I was being paid to maintain my 3.0 GPA and finish my degree in a certain time period as per my contract. I did not pay taxes on any tuition as those were paid directly to the university.

So my personal crazy recipient theory (and use I've read the USC about SMART) is that because they paid us as contractors they can't really come after the stipend money regardless of what the contract says. They hired us to do a job and we completed it. Now anything we didn't pay taxes on such as tuition I think is probably fair game. However, everyone that completes Phase I and drops out during Phase II has their reimbursement amount reviewed by OSD. So if you say work 2 years our of 3 you should get some reduction based on years of service.

Long story short: SMART threatens you with everything which is probably valid if you never make it to Phase II (breach of contract for payments). I personally know several people who have left during Phase I and Phase II and they have not been placed into repayment.