Payback during Phase 1?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Another guest

Payback during Phase 1?

Post by Another guest »

A few questions (search didn't provide meaningful threads, feel free to link me to one if I've missed it):

1. Does SMART have a method to pay back received funds?

2. If so, who would you have to pay back to?

3. Has anyone here left the SMART program during phase 1? Can you share your experience? What can I expect if I do decide to leave the program?

Payback

Re: Payback during Phase 1?

Post by Payback »

No, they don't have a method to give funds back or even start repayment procedures. This is one of the biggest issues with SMART and can be seen all over the forum where people have left during Phase 1 or 2.

guest01

Post by guest01 »

Sorry to revive this thread, but I just wanted to clarify something. When the people on this forum say that there's no method to pay back received funds, does that mean that people aren't allowed to leave the program? Or does that mean you're stuck with a large debt on your record, and no way to pay it down?

ConcernedScholar

Post by ConcernedScholar »

You are allowed to leave the program. SMART just doesn't have a mechanism in place for scholars to pay them back, leaving scholars with quite sizable debts. The sad thing is that SMART is around a decade old (maybe older) and something this important hasn't been addressed. To my knowledge, those who have left the program (even years ago) have yet to pay back a dime because SMART doesn't have a payment system in place and won't accept payments still.

Rpicse

Post by Rpicse »

guest01 wrote:Sorry to revive this thread, but I just wanted to clarify something. When the people on this forum say that there's no method to pay back received funds, does that mean that people aren't allowed to leave the program? Or does that mean you're stuck with a large debt on your record, and no way to pay it down?
Neither, it means that you can leave and the debt doesn't go on your record. With no method to collect, they have no way to add it to your record. If someone wants to say you owe them money on your credit report or similar, they need to have a way you can pay. Until SMART gets that, nothing is on your credit report.