Am I eligible?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
CoriW

Am I eligible?

Post by CoriW »

Currently I am about to enter my senior year of high school and I am looking for ways to pay for college. I am salutatorian and very involved in the school and community. I am majoring in molecular biology or biochemistry and plan to get my doctorate in Genetics. I know that I cannot apply until I am enrolled in college but I need assurance that I'll be able to pay for college. Is my major desirable to the DoD? And if I am accepted to I reapply every year or do I stay in the program till I am completely done with school?

24August

Re: Am I eligible?

Post by 24August »

First things first: If you're accepted, you'll be supported for up to 5 years. After that, you can either continue to go to school and accrue pay back time, but with no income; or you could exit and work for the DoD for 5 years, then reapply for another 5 years.

Secondly, if you apply, realize that the first round cuts half of all applicants by major alone. So if you're in it just for the money, don't give the first round reviewers any inkling that you're there only for money; you'll be cut right there, no questions asked. Biology may be in demand in certain areas for the Army or Navy, but there aren't a lot of slots, so you'll have heavier competition than say a EE. If you're hanging your plans on getting SMART, good luck. I wouldn't count on getting accepted however, since not having a plan B can be a real downer.

administrator
Site Admin

Re: Am I eligible?

Post by administrator »

Moved to correct forum