Questions on Flight Testing

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Questions on Flight Testing

Post by guest »

Hello, I am a mechanical engineering student with interest in aerospace, combustion and propulsion and vehicle systems and have hands on mechanical experience. I am currently debating revising my 3 selections for SF's and was wondering specifically the differences in flight testing between Edwards AFB and the Arnold engineering center. Also, Edwards seems like a smaller operation, will they be hiring mechanical engineers in the next 2-3 years? Which venue, testing or research in your opinion provides a better hands on experience? (AKA a desk job just wouldn't be for me all the time). As you might imagine, I don't have 1 specific research area or field nailed down but rather a general idea of a few interesting fields. Being a Sophomore at a community school i don't have access to college research and any advice or further information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for this website, it has provided a plethora of insightful information.

administrator
Site Admin

Re: Questions on Flight Testing

Post by administrator »

Simple answer is Edwards=Flight Test, AEDC=Ground Test.

At AEDC they put engines in test rigs and do lots and lots of perfomance and envelope characterisation. At Edwards, we verify their data. Flight testing costs $$$, so we do fewer tests than they do.

Both Edwards and AEDC are very large operations, and both will be highering many mechanical engineers. Our propulsion groups are also similar size.

Post by guest »

Do engineers at Edwards do work on the aircraft in-flight or is it ground based?

Post by guest »

Sorry, that could have been clearer. What I meant to ask is do the engineers ever get to fly in the aircraft they test or do they merely sit in a hangar analyzing data from the aircraft in flight?

administrator
Site Admin

Post by administrator »

Simple answer, No. They used to, but not anymore.

Post by guest »

thats too bad