Interview calls

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
An EE Major

Re: Interview calls

Post by An EE Major »

I know that a lot of Electrical Engineering majors were selected last year, but has any EE majors been contacted for a phone interview yet? I haven't and am getting worried about it.

Post by Guest »

An EE Major wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:35 am
I know that a lot of Electrical Engineering majors were selected last year, but has any EE majors been contacted for a phone interview yet? I haven't and am getting worried about it.
I am an electrical engineering major. I had an informal phone call with one facility last week and an interview with a different facility a few days ago. I don't know what this means for you, but I'm sure that many facilities will take their time contacting people until late March, so hopefully you will be contacted soon!

ParadoxOSK

Post by ParadoxOSK »

For those EE's with the Huntsville, AL interviews, how did they go?

jclark

Post by jclark »

Any chemistry or chemical engineer majors get an interview call yet ?

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

Had an interview with an SF earlier this week. They asked about 8 or 10 questions. I was so nervous I honestly don't remember most of the interview :| I felt like it went okay. They said they were going to submit their scores to HR and that I would hear back in about 2 weeks, give or take. So. Fingers crossed. :?
Applicant
GPA: 3.8
Pursuing: BS in Information Technology w/ SysAdmin & CyberSec Concentration

bread crumb

Post by bread crumb »

frankiesmith wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:57 pm
Had an interview with an SF earlier this week. They asked about 8 or 10 questions. I was so nervous I honestly don't remember most of the interview :| I felt like it went okay. They said they were going to submit their scores to HR and that I would hear back in about 2 weeks, give or take. So. Fingers crossed. :?
Woahh! First off, congratulations on being interviewed! Also, what was that facility out of curiosity?

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

bread crumb wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:25 pm
frankiesmith wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:57 pm
Woahh! First off, congratulations on being interviewed! Also, what was that facility out of curiosity?
Aha, thank you! :) I interviewed for the Missile Defense Agency. No specific location so, if I am awarded the scholarship, I could either go to Alabama, Colorado, or Virginia.
Applicant

horizons

Post by horizons »

Electrical and Computer Engineering major here. Prospective EE Masters student (if that matters at all).
I have two calls next Monday from two different facilities. One that I listed and one that I did not.

It seems like people are saying the calls are casual but have any engineering/EE majors gotten technical questions at all?

SMART also told me that, "If you awarded funding by SMART, we will email you an offer which you will need to accept by July 31st. The facility should not and will not offer you a position at the time of the interview, they may only express interest. " for any of you who are considering other similar fellowships as well.

Nlafrag

Post by Nlafrag »

I was very surprised to get an email and call from the NGA today. I was under the impression they didn't interview based on previous posts here. I'm an astrophysics major going into a GIS MS. It was very relaxed and only 15 minutes long. Mostly asking about my degree and why I wanted to work there. The division was mainly geared towards engineering and comp sci majors so it was a real shock to get a call. He said they only had 2 openings and their local deadline was for next week to submit applicants. Also mentioned that the overall deadline to submit their choices was the 31st. I didn't plan for a phone call, but it def got my hopes up!

Maggie27

Post by Maggie27 »

Hey guys! I'm a senior in High School and found out I was a semi-finalist about a month ago. Since then, I haven't heard anything... I plan on studying Mechanical Engineering with an aerospace concentration at New York Tech this fall. Should I start freaking out now or later? :|

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Wow, go you, Maggie! I don't think they push high school seniors through very often, so congrats on getting this far.
There are many posts on here of people who got the award without ever getting an interview, and people with multiple interviews ultimately getting nothing, so try not to freak out. (Easier said than done, I know.)
I encourage you to focus on school right now and if this doesn't work out this first year, apply again for next year. Having some college under your belt is bound to make SFs more confident in gambling on you. But you may be just what someone is looking for too, so don't admit defeat til the summer!
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

tkdmm

Post by tkdmm »

Congratulations to all the semifinalists!

My son is a Senior HS but will have 31 college units by June. Today he got another interview from a different SF #3 (40 minutes). He did interview last week with SF# 2 (15 minutes).
According to him, both interviews went well. In his interview today, he was told that they will ‘recommend’ him, and that he would hear back by around 3/31 (maybe that’s the SF’s deadline to submit). Both SFs did not ask him if another SF has contacted him.
I don’t know what to expect. Hoping for the best, but also ready for whatever the final decision will be. Is it April yet? So nerve-wracking 😶

An EE major

Post by An EE major »

I haven’t gotten a call or even an email yet and I’m getting really discouraged.
What are the chances of getting the award without any interview? I’m assuming it’s very low and for those with perfect gpa’s and sat.

JasonQ13

Post by JasonQ13 »

I just got my third interview this morning. The first was from my number 1 facility, the second was from my number 3, and the third was another branch from my first facility. He sent me an email saying he wanted to talk to me, so I called him back about an hour later.

CS here

Post by CS here »

Has Anyone had an interview with the Lackland Air force base?

ParadoxOSK

Post by ParadoxOSK »

I was called and told that I was wanted by a SF after our interview a couple weeks ago. They said that my name had been submitted to the DOD along with some others for approval and that we might not all pass this list, as it is not longer in their hands but the DOD's. Does this mean that I have a chance to be a finalist?

neon_cs

Post by neon_cs »

CS here wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:09 pm
I just got an email to schedule for an interview today.

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Paradox, unless your school is crazy expensive or the DoD doesn't want to pay for the length of time you're applying for, I'd say you have a damn good chance.
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

An EE major

Post by An EE major »

I got a call from Lackland Airforce today. Super excited for my interview. I see that others also got calls from there as well. Good luck everyone.

CS here

Post by CS here »

neon_cs wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:24 pm
CS here wrote:
did you get a call from them first then the email or ?

An EE major

Post by An EE major »

CS here wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:07 pm
neon_cs wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:24 pm
CS here wrote:
did you get a call from them first then the email or ?
I have an interview with the same place. They called me first to schedule a time then told me I’d be getting an email by the end of the day.

Dragon0

Post by Dragon0 »

oh nice I got an interview with them :shock:

your_local_cheezit

Post by your_local_cheezit »

I had a few questions: in the interviews, do they normally press you on the programming languages you've listed (other than on your resume) on your cover letter, essay, etc.? And expect you to be highly-technically skilled in them? What kind of questions about them would there be then? Is it valid to be someone who programs better than they can explain it? OR rather, do they ask their questions in a way like: "What type of programming languages do you know/have been exposed to? If yes, what have you learned so far?" giving you the opportunity to form your responses and explain your learning background? I'm mainly asking as an undergrad in CS with minimal programming experience so far, but the technical questions part really scares me.

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

your_local_cheezit wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:32 pm
I had a few questions: in the interviews, do they normally press you on the programming languages you've listed (other than on your resume) on your cover letter, essay, etc.? And expect you to be highly-technically skilled in them? What kind of questions about them would there be then? Is it valid to be someone who programs better than they can explain it? OR rather, do they ask their questions in a way like: "What type of programming languages do you know/have been exposed to? If yes, what have you learned so far?" giving you the opportunity to form your responses and explain your learning background? I'm mainly asking as an undergrad in CS with minimal programming experience so far, but the technical questions part really scares me.
Ummmm. I don't know about everyone else but the questions I was asked were not technical AT ALL. I don't remember all of the questions I was asked but they were more on the your general scholarship questions side. From what I've heard and read, every SF handles their interviews differently.

From what I remember of the questions I was asked:
Tell us a about yourself.
How well do you work on a team?
How would you handle conflict among your team and leadership?
Why did you choose a career in IT?
How do you handle competing tasks?
Why do you think you deserve this scholarship?
Applicant

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

I was told that I would hear a decision in about two weeks... well this week will make two weeks. I'm so nervous I don't even wanna check my email :? :cry:
Applicant