PhD Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
user123

PhD Applicants

Post by user123 »

Hi, hope everyone is well! Did anyone who applied as a PhD student receive interviews?

kyleculus

Re: PhD Applicants

Post by kyleculus »

Hi! Yes, I applied as a PhD student and received 1 phone interview from my number 1 SF, but have not heard anything from the other 2. The phone interview lasted around 45 minutes and we discussed my research interests/background as well life in the area near the facility.

user123

Post by user123 »

kyleculus wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:50 pm
Hi! Yes, I applied as a PhD student and received 1 phone interview from my number 1 SF, but have not heard anything from the other 2. The phone interview lasted around 45 minutes and we discussed my research interests/background as well life in the area near the facility.
Thanks for the information! Sounds like a good interview, good luck! I had not received any calls so just was wondering how common that may be at this level

lfwood

Post by lfwood »

I got an email that Im a semi finalist, but haven’t gotten any updates since then, no interviews, calls or emails. So you’re not alone :)

Nerd21

Post by Nerd21 »

Hello! I am also a PhD applicant. I have had three interviews but two of these came because I marketed myself by reaching out to facilities. I have learned a couple things when reaching out to these facilities. One is that it is a massive investment for SFs to take on PhDs, so they are going to make sure that you check every single box for what they are looking for; and they may only be looking for one PhD. It's more about your specific skills and you need to make it clear that a bachelors/masters could not have the same skills as you. Second, majority of the scientists at these facilities are lab techs so they may not have any positions higher up where a PhD would be; but this really just depends on the SF. Third, PhDs are of less abundance at these SFs BUT of extreme value. So if you don't get it this year, try again next year and reach out to every SF you are interested in before you even hear about semi finalist announcements and then follow up after. I did this and received interviews with both facilities I reached out to.

user123

Post by user123 »

lfwood wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:44 am
I got an email that Im a semi finalist, but haven’t gotten any updates since then, no interviews, calls or emails. So you’re not alone :)
Same, and somewhat helpful to hear someone else is in this boat! Fingers crossed we are one of those "no interview" cases :)

user123

Post by user123 »

Nerd21 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:06 pm
Hello! I am also a PhD applicant. I have had three interviews but two of these came because I marketed myself by reaching out to facilities. I have learned a couple things when reaching out to these facilities. One is that it is a massive investment for SFs to take on PhDs, so they are going to make sure that you check every single box for what they are looking for; and they may only be looking for one PhD. It's more about your specific skills and you need to make it clear that a bachelors/masters could not have the same skills as you. Second, majority of the scientists at these facilities are lab techs so they may not have any positions higher up where a PhD would be; but this really just depends on the SF. Third, PhDs are of less abundance at these SFs BUT of extreme value. So if you don't get it this year, try again next year and reach out to every SF you are interested in before you even hear about semi finalist announcements and then follow up after. I did this and received interviews with both facilities I reached out to.
Congrats! And hope you hear back good news!
Thanks for all the information! If it doesn't work out this year, this is all helpful to know for next cycle :)

Jakey

Post by Jakey »

I mostly second Nerd21's assessment. Even though probably some percentage of PhD applicants get by on generic aptitude alone, having a very specific skill set or research background makes you more marketable, not to SFs, but to specific departments within SFs. If by some stroke of luck or genius you contact the right department manager or university liaison who knows how your research background will be an asset to their team for an upcoming vacancy, you're in.