Lessons for USACE hopefuls

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Dilly

Lessons for USACE hopefuls

Post by Dilly »

I just talked with the chief that I thought was going to sponsor me and learned that basically, because they were unfamiliar with the SMART process amd program, they weren't organized enough to be able to request any recruitment scholars. He was really apologetic and encouraging to me, but basically I'm out, since that's the only place I wanted.
So lesson learned - I should have called them earlier in February. They could have gotten the ball rolling and I would probably be getting this scholarship. Be proactive, folks. Maybe I'll get lucky next year.
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

Biomed

Re: Lessons for USACE hopefuls

Post by Biomed »

Dilly wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:45 pm
I just talked with the chief that I thought was going to sponsor me and learned that basically, because they were unfamiliar with the SMART process amd program, they weren't organized enough to be able to request any recruitment scholars. He was really apologetic and encouraging to me, but basically I'm out, since that's the only place I wanted.
So lesson learned - I should have called them earlier in February. They could have gotten the ball rolling and I would probably be getting this scholarship. Be proactive, folks. Maybe I'll get lucky next year.
On the off chance you get sponsored by a different facility, would you still take the scholarship?

Also, I wouldn't feel bad. I've been trying to get my current DoD organization listed as a Sponsoring Facility since 2019 - they still have not reached out to SMART to formally start the process. My organization is still figuring out things internally. It takes a long time for things to get the ball rolling if systems aren't already in place.
Last edited by Biomed on Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Sorry to hear this. That actually happened to a guy in my lab a few years back. Some DoD lab "promised" him a spot and then later told him that it would take them at least a year to become an official SMART SF.

ilovecorpsehusband

Post by ilovecorpsehusband »

I am so sorry to hear that. Quite frankly, and please excuse me, but that sounds like a lameass excuse and incredibly lazy. Though, if I'm not mistaken, I'm sure you're still under consideration under any other SF's, no? And in April, we'll hear back as to specifics and what SF's.

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Thanks for the sympathy. There's a chance another facility is interested in me but I don't want to relocate my family unless there's some incredible opportunity for my spouse nearby too, which is unlikely. Plus I didn't get any interviews elsewhere, so that's a long shot anyway.
I'll try again next year. They'll be better prepared then. (And yes, I agree it's a totally lame excuse. It kills me that I've lost this opportunity and will go further into debt just because of poor organization/communication.)
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology