CS Majors: Technical skills, year, experience etc

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
seagull

CS Majors: Technical skills, year, experience etc

Post by seagull »

I'm a Computer Science major and so I wanted to ask to all of the CS majors in this forum, what is your technical experience, year in school, and anything like that? I'm asking bc I'm a freshman and so in the case I'm not selected, it could be that I don't have enough experience or knowledge? I also only interviewed with one SF and listed 'no preference' on my app (not sure if this will doing anything though). Thank you to anyone who responds, I will SO appreciate it!!!

Re: CS Majors: Technical skills, year, experience etc

Post by Guest »

I am a Freshman CS major attending Louisiana Tech University. I don't have much experience and am really just starting out, and like you, I only interviewed with one SF. From what I have heard lack of experience doesn't necessarily disqualify you. I'm sure we both did great though, and I have high expectations for both of us.

seagull

Post by seagull »

Guest wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:12 pm
I am a Freshman CS major attending Louisiana Tech University. I don't have much experience and am really just starting out, and like you, I only interviewed with one SF. From what I have heard lack of experience doesn't necessarily disqualify you. I'm sure we both did great though, and I have high expectations for both of us.
Wow!!! I'm so happy to hear, congratulations to you!! I know nothing is set in stone, but I really appreciated your response, it's nice to be able to see your not alone. I'm also sure you did amazing in your interview process and I sincerely hope you only hear positive news from SMART.

manny

Post by manny »

Just graduated from undergrad, applying to MS Computer Science programs now. 3.14GPA from no-name undergrad, super high GRE scores (169/169/5.5), couple of publications in a computer vision conference, 1 year experience as software engineer at a small health tech start-up.

So far I’ve gotten into USC (funding unknown), UIUC (fully funded w/generous stipend - where I’ll go without SMART), U Washington (fully funded no stipend), Cornell MEng CS (funding unknown), Carnegie Mellons MSCS (no funding - but a here I may consider if I get SMART) and Carnegie Mellons MCDS. Rejected from Carnegie Mellons MSML and Stanford’s MSCS. Still haven’t heard back from Berkeley MEng, Columbia MSCS, and UCLA MSCS.

Never got any interview requests, but I’m okay if I don’t get SMART. UIUC’s program is excellent, well-funded, has the potential to lead to PhD if I want it, and I wouldn’t have any post grad obligations that way.

Good luck friend!