Applications

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Sherm1111

Applications

Post by Sherm1111 »

Does anyone happen to have any clue on how many people applied this year, got through to semifinalist, and will eventually be awarded the internship/funds. I'm trying to stay pessimistic to not get my hopes up to much, but I'm just trying to see what my chances are looking like. I know numbers aren't concrete right now, just wanting to know some estimates.

Re: Applications

Post by Guest »

You can see some of these stats on the website from previous years. So in 2020, 323 people received awards and this was 13% of reviewed applications; so this would mean that there were about 3000 applicants. I was told previously that typically around 1000 people make semifinalist.

ryantetreault

Post by ryantetreault »

Someone on a different post back in December posted this (link below), "Spoke to the SMART office today. As of 3:15, there were about 2000 completed applications and about 8000 in progress. The person I spoke with indicated there might be over 500 scholarships awarded this round."

Keep in mind that at 4:00 PM EST the applications closed, though I'm not sure about what time zone they were in. Also reading through the SMART handbook they say half of the applicants are semi-finalists. I'm not sure if that means literally 50% or if that is more of a range they set for themselves.

https://www.thesmartforum.org/viewtopic ... ber#p15469
Aerospace Engineering Hopeful

Sherm1111

Post by Sherm1111 »

ryantetreault wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:16 am
Someone on a different post back in December posted this (link below), "Spoke to the SMART office today. As of 3:15, there were about 2000 completed applications and about 8000 in progress. The person I spoke with indicated there might be over 500 scholarships awarded this round."

Keep in mind that at 4:00 PM EST the applications closed, though I'm not sure about what time zone they were in. Also reading through the SMART handbook they say half of the applicants are semi-finalists. I'm not sure if that means literally 50% or if that is more of a range they set for themselves.

https://www.thesmartforum.org/viewtopic ... ber#p15469
So in other words this year there might be roughly half of the semifinalists or about a quarter of applicants.