2021 Finalist Decisions

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
guest1012

Re: 2021 Finalist Decisions

Post by guest1012 »

Has anyone who didn't receive any interviews receive word on the scholarship, so far?

worried_childe

Post by worried_childe »

Sherm1111 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:59 am
I have a question because I'm thinking about future summers. By accepting this we agree to internships for any summer that our scholarship crosses over. So does that mean we basically won't have a summer anymore? Just trying to see what I should tell my mom about family vacations starting next year.
They should be 8-12 weeks in the summer, don't know how covid will affect it though.
https://www.smartscholarship.org/smart? ... b40f961952

guest2023

Post by guest2023 »

Congrats to everyone so far! Out of curiosity, what time zone are people in who have received the award so far? I'm curious as to what order they are rolling out the awards in.

seagull

Post by seagull »

*Recipients Board UNLOCKED*

your_local_cheezit

Post by your_local_cheezit »

GOT THE AWARD YUHH

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

just got an award! If you get an award offer can you still hear back from another lab? or are all results offered from every lab today?

JasonQ13

Post by JasonQ13 »

I got the award! 3.9 GPA Cybersecurity Major from Champlain College at the Picatinny Arsenal in NJ!

An EE major

Post by An EE major »

Has anyone gotten a rejection letter yet? And are they still giving out awards?

ryantetreault

Post by ryantetreault »

Haven't gotten anything.
Aerospace Engineering Hopeful

ryantetreault

Post by ryantetreault »

Sherm1111 wrote:
I have a question because I'm thinking about future summers. By accepting this we agree to internships for any summer that our scholarship crosses over. So does that mean we basically won't have a summer anymore? Just trying to see what I should tell my mom about family vacations starting next year.
If you got it the 8-12 week internship will be just next year (summer 2022). You probably will have a one or two day site visit this summer as well.

LiamW

Post by LiamW »

Also nothing. But I have a W last name and am a PhD applicant, so I am hoping one of those factors means my name is low on the notification list.

awardee22

Post by awardee22 »

ryantetreault wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:59 am
Sherm1111 wrote:
If you got it the 8-12 week internship will be just next year (summer 2022). You probably will have a one or two day site visit this summer as well.
That's not necessarily true. I just received the award this year, but during my interview, my SF told me I will have an internship this summer (2021). I believe it depends on the facility and how fast they work with the paperwork. I would reach out to your SF contact and ask them about the timeline, they'd know better! :)

ryantetreault

Post by ryantetreault »

T-SMART wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:53 am
Just found out that I received the award! I'm entering a PhD program this fall. Congrats to everyone else who got it!! :) I'm wondering: Under the "My Info" part of the Awardee Portal, the first line is for "Service Commitment." For me, this says 5, presumably the number of years I'll be enrolled in my PhD program; by accepting my offer, does this mean I'm committing to working for the DoD for FIVE YEARS after I graduate?! I was hoping to only commit to 2 years because my school of choice will fund the last three years of my program, just not the first two. Is anyone else in the same boat/know how we get this changed to reflect our intentions? Thanks!
Yeah, your basically signing up for all five years.

2021awardee

Post by 2021awardee »

Got the award!!! :) My stats are:

Mechanical Engineering Major
3.92 GPA at a really good university
Undergraduate researcher for my college and about to be published twice :)

I got my first choice facility and am so stoked!!

dryadiabat

Post by dryadiabat »

LiamW wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:20 am
Also nothing. But I have a W last name and am a PhD applicant, so I am hoping one of those factors means my name is low on the notification list.
I haven’t heard anything either as a PhD applicant, but my last name starts with “F.”
I’m not feeling super confident, but I’m just holding out hope that different facilities send out when they feel is best.

I had received a last minute interview in mid to late March; so I’m not sure what to expect anymore.

Jakey

Post by Jakey »

Got an award to #1 SF. This was my second year applying. No interviews or offers the first year and then two interviews (from #1 and #2 SFs) and an offer this year. Yay! Onto the scary logistics of making and then fulfilling contractual obligations...

Post by Guest »

I am also a PhD applicant who just received an award. We have until the 19th of April to accept or decline. I believe that they send out another wave of acceptances then based on how many declined.

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

No offer BUT no rejection letter either so... 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Congrats to everyone who was awarded!!!! And good luck to the rest of us :)
Applicant
GPA: 3.8
Pursuing: BS in Information Technology w/ SysAdmin & CyberSec Concentration

wysdem

Post by wysdem »

Guest wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:47 am
I am also a PhD applicant who just received an award. We have until the 19th of April to accept or decline. I believe that they send out another wave of acceptances then based on how many declined.

Can anyone provide the domain (@xxx.gov) that the emails are coming from (so I can whitelist)? I had to call into Smart to find out I was a semi-finalist for lack of an email.

oceannerd

Post by oceannerd »

Did anyone receive an award who did not get an interview?

your_local_cheezit

Post by your_local_cheezit »

I only got 1 interview and only got 1 offer

Randomanon

Post by Randomanon »

Does anyone know if all results are supposed to come out today, or if they will be slowly released throughout the entire week? Congrats to all current finalists!

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

No email yet, and last name starts with D. I expected to be out of the picture for this year. I think congrats are going out first, then rejections.
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

kyleculus

Post by kyleculus »

ryantetreault wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:31 am
T-SMART wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:53 am
Just found out that I received the award! I'm entering a PhD program this fall. Congrats to everyone else who got it!! :) I'm wondering: Under the "My Info" part of the Awardee Portal, the first line is for "Service Commitment." For me, this says 5, presumably the number of years I'll be enrolled in my PhD program; by accepting my offer, does this mean I'm committing to working for the DoD for FIVE YEARS after I graduate?! I was hoping to only commit to 2 years because my school of choice will fund the last three years of my program, just not the first two. Is anyone else in the same boat/know how we get this changed to reflect our intentions? Thanks!
Yeah, your basically signing up for all five years.
Hi OP, If your school is able to fund the last 3 years of your program you should be fine! I know if it was the other way around there might be an issue as I do not believe SMART allows for any deferral periods. However, I would reach out to SMART and see if you can get your award adjusted to only fund you for 2 years! Congrats!!

An EE Major

Post by An EE Major »

Has anyone heard from Lackland Airforce base in TX? Or anything in Texas?