Which Major Do I Select on the Application?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
JMUsmart

Which Major Do I Select on the Application?

Post by JMUsmart »

Hello! I am currently applying for this years program, and I need to select which major I am applying for. I am currently enrolled as a Physics major, however I am currently working towards declaring a double major, with my second one being Computer Science, but the way my university works I do not think I will be able to declare it until the fall semester of my next year. So I am confused which one I should select when expressing what my intended degree is. On one hand, I am only currently declared as a Physics major, and would probably have more Physics related work to look at when reviewing me. On the other though, my intended Physics concentration is in electronics and and instrumentation, and with the additional computer science major, computer science may be a more accurate description of my overall degree goals.

I wouldn't normally think much about this, but recently I found where to see what percent of accepted applicants are from which majors, and around 30% are computer science while around 2% are physics. I am not trying to misrepresent myself in order to have a higher chance of acceptance, but I wouldn't want to lower my chance of acceptance for no reason. Thank you to anyone who can help!

hbur2

Re: Which Major Do I Select on the Application?

Post by hbur2 »

You'll have the chance to discuss your future plans and can clearly show that while the transcripts you send won't reflect this fact, that you are in deed pursuing a CS degree. Which as you've stated is among the highest awarded degrees in SMART.

Say you're a CS and go for it man. Just be sure to explain your situation and it'll be fine.