How difficult is it for a SF to request a SMART scholar?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
aqzws

How difficult is it for a SF to request a SMART scholar?

Post by aqzws »

Hi,

This past summer I interned with a research facility and everything went great. I applied for the SMART scholarship, listed that facility as my top preference, and made semifinalist. I reached out to my internship supervisor (a SMART scholar) and they said that they would "try to get me" as a SMART scholar. This SF has a frequent history of accepting SMART scholars.

So I was wondering how difficult is it for a lab to get a SMART scholar? Will my supervisor have to jump a bunch of hoops? Or is it almost a sure thing? I am requesting 2 years of funding.

laj_5537

Re: How difficult is it for a SF to request a SMART scholar?

Post by laj_5537 »

Hello,

I am just going off of what I have heard about the general application process on here, but it seems like you could have multiple SF wanting to bring you on as a SMART Scholar. If this happens, you may have to re-submit your list of preferences. In the end, the applicants and SF are assigned to one another based on BOTH preferences and most likely a bunch of other conditions as well. This is not like a job application where the SF decides they want you and hire you, they submit applicant preferences just like you! So it seems to me that there is no guarantee that a SF can pick you up just because they have you as their number 1 choice.

Further, I am also convinced that the SF can't actually tell you if they are planning on listing you as one of their choices.

Good luck and congrats on making it as a semifinalist!

aqzws

Post by aqzws »

laj_5537 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:44 am
Hello,

I am just going off of what I have heard about the general application process on here, but it seems like you could have multiple SF wanting to bring you on as a SMART Scholar. If this happens, you may have to re-submit your list of preferences. In the end, the applicants and SF are assigned to one another based on BOTH preferences and most likely a bunch of other conditions as well. This is not like a job application where the SF decides they want you and hire you, they submit applicant preferences just like you! So it seems to me that there is no guarantee that a SF can pick you up just because they have you as their number 1 choice.

Further, I am also convinced that the SF can't actually tell you if they are planning on listing you as one of their choices.

Good luck and congrats on making it as a semifinalist!
Thanks for the information! But I think I may have misspoke. After following-up with my internship advisor, it seems they are currently looking into their facilities formal process for reviewing candidates. So the SF, and my internship supervisor, both have likely not yet submitted their applicant preference.

aqzws

Post by aqzws »

My top SF choice usually accepts ~6 applicants per year. I wonder how many were recommended but ultimately cut?