2023 Semifinalist Notification and Interviews

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
wysdem

Re: 2023 Semifinalist Notification and Interviews

Post by wysdem »

ihatewaiting wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:25 am
So I got this email on Friday:
Subject: SMART Scholarship Application-Follow-up requested

Hello SMART semifinalist-

The SMART Program is in the process of reviewing and validating semifinalist application information. We will be attempting to contact you via the telephone number listed on your application either Monday-Wednesday (20-22 March), to clarify some of your application information. If we do not connect on the first attempt we will leave a voicemail message on how to return our call. We will also follow up with another email if we do not reach you by 5PM Eastern, Wednesday 22 March.

Please note - this email and eventual phone call are in no way an offer of an award with SMART. That said, we look forward to connecting soon to further discuss your application packet.

Thank you!
I know I'll find out exactly what this means soon, but just curious if others got this or previous SMART people can tell me if this is a good sign?
I received the same email on Friday. I did a search in the forum and found this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3846

Thread from the 2021 application season. Hope that helps.
Non-traditional Student - Industrial Engineering Major at a State University
GPA - 3.95

ihatewaiting

Post by ihatewaiting »

Hi just got the call. Nothing too crazy.

They just asked me if my SF ranking had changed, why I applied to SMART program, and how my interviews went.

Notifications will come out the first week of April! You will have 10 days to accept or decline the award.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Post by ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh »

leejv2 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:24 pm
So I am a semi-finalist and I tried to get back into the application portal just to see if that had any additional information for this stage of the process, and I was unable to get in. This was more or less expected, but what wasn't expected was that it let me log in and then just had a ball bounce break the blocks game with the block forming a 404. Does anyone have any idea what that's about? Just some cs guy having a good time at work and throwing that in there?
i also just had this happen to me? but was able to access it earlier... ahhhhh

hdibene

Post by hdibene »

Has anyone else here heard absolutely nothing? I haven't gotten a single email from the SMART scholarship since the webinar and I haven't heard anything from any SF's. I mean that's probably not a good sign but I'm hoping I'm at least not alone y'know?

Tyger_Billy

Post by Tyger_Billy »

hdibene wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:48 pm
Has anyone else here heard absolutely nothing? I haven't gotten a single email from the SMART scholarship since the webinar and I haven't heard anything from any SF's. I mean that's probably not a good sign but I'm hoping I'm at least not alone y'know?
Honestly, same here. I haven't heard anything either, but I'm still holding out hope. The semifinalist email did say that no emails doesn't mean you're not getting an offer. I imagine though that if we're offered anything, it may not be something on our preference list.

wysdem

Post by wysdem »

Tyger_Billy wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:22 am
hdibene wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:48 pm
Honestly, same here. I haven't heard anything either, but I'm still holding out hope. The semifinalist email did say that no emails doesn't mean you're not getting an offer. I imagine though that if we're offered anything, it may not be something on our preference list.
No email or contact aren't a negative, some SFs simply don't reach out to interview. This is my third time applying and I've seen plenty of people report receiving an award without any contact after receiving their semi-finalist notification.

Awards should be going out 4/3 this year (first Monday in April) so just a little under two weeks to go. Good luck all!
Non-traditional Student - Industrial Engineering Major at a State University
GPA - 3.95

Wondering

Post by Wondering »

Has anyone received the application follow-up email, but then didn't get a phone call this past week?

User_Number

Post by User_Number »

If hypothetically someone was certain a sponsoring facility had agreed to hire them, how would that affect their chances of receiving the final award? Is it then up to SMART to select out of a pool of applicants approved by sponsoring facilities, or would having a sponsoring facility agree to hire you mean you will certainly receive the award?

phdpoor

Post by phdpoor »

I GOT THE AWARD NOTIFICATION TODAY!!!

AND THEY INCREASED THE AWARD STIPEND TO 46000 FOR PHD STUDENTS. POORPHD NO MORE!!

hdibene

Post by hdibene »

If we didn’t get awarded in the first week how likely is it that we will get an award as the weeks go on? When do the award weeks end?

Post by Guest »

hdibene wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:30 pm
If we didn’t get awarded in the first week how likely is it that we will get an award as the weeks go on? When do the award weeks end?
I’m curious as well.

Post by Guest »

phdpoor wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:16 pm
I GOT THE AWARD NOTIFICATION TODAY!!!

AND THEY INCREASED THE AWARD STIPEND TO 46000 FOR PHD STUDENTS. POORPHD NO MORE!!
Same! I couldn’t believe the stipend increase when I saw it.

AL2023

Post by AL2023 »

Will there be any 2nd round selection. My DS got a notification that he has not been selected at this time but DoD will continue to give awards in the next few weeks. If DoD does not contact him then it will be a final notification for the 2022 application. Should we expect to hear some good news on Monday? Per previous postings, awards come out on the first Mon of April. But it seems like they started giving notifications last night. Anyone in the past who had received a similar notification and then receive an award later?

Post by Guest »

has anyone seen any emails going out today? Everyone I know hasnt heard a peep.