2012 Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
login

Re: 2012 Applicants

Post by login »

Has anyone's ability to login to https://smart.asee.org/award changed recently? A few weeks ago I was able to login and see contact information, but now I get an error message saying I've entered the wrong email. Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers.

l.

Guest22

Post by Guest22 »

2012_UMD wrote:I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing lol. How do you know this though? I'm clueless and just have the impression that the DoD would rather give a one year award than a three year award so I'm hoping not.
I'm not certain where I heard it from. I'm relatively knowledgeable about the program though so I think it's reliable. Couldn't be 100% sure though. My POC at my base, who I knew prior to the SMART Program, is on the panel of judges who ranks the applicants. The top 50% get sent to all the bases, the bases each pick who they will recommend, and then SMART makes the final decision. Like I said, how much funding you asked for really isn't a factor at all. If you get accepted, you'll get accepted regardless of funding. If you didn't get accepted, you wouldn't have gotten accepted even if you asked for less funding.

What does affect your chances, however, is the funding that everyone ELSE asked for. So if you asked for more funding and get accepted, it comes at the expense of others obviously. It doesn't affect you though.[/quote]

Doesn't that inherently mean that it indirectly affects your funding? As in, if everyone getting accepted ahead of you drained away all but a year's worth of funding and you asked for two, you don't get funding?[/quote]

In that scenario, yes, it does affect you. But like I said, ONLY in that scenario. ONLY if you are the LAST person on the list and they have say $30,000 left and you asked for $35,000.

But if you are SECOND to last on the list, for example, it wouldn't affect you. So if there are ~300 accepted applications (as there were last year), the chances of your requested funding affecting whether or not you get accepted is about .3%. That's negligible.

As previously stated, your requested funding affects the chances of others, and the requested funding of others affects your chances, but your requested funding does not accept your own chances except in the extreme .3% chance scenario described above.

Guest22

Post by Guest22 »

login wrote:Has anyone's ability to login to https://smart.asee.org/award changed recently? A few weeks ago I was able to login and see contact information, but now I get an error message saying I've entered the wrong email. Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers.

l.
Don't be concerned. I'm a current scholar and I used to be able to log in there. I can't now. Looks like they reset all the logins for everyone.

If you weren't a current scholar but could log in two weeks ago, I would take that as a good sign.

ndseg

Post by ndseg »

for those that applied to the ndseg scholarship, did you get any notification from the org in the past couple of months also are you still able to log in into http://ndseg.asee.org/award

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

ndseg wrote:for those that applied to the ndseg scholarship, did you get any notification from the org in the past couple of months also are you still able to log in into http://ndseg.asee.org/award
I am able to log in, but there isn't much information .... does this mean I got it?

ndseg

Post by ndseg »

hmmm...unsure, because I'm also able to do the same, curious if that's just the way ndseg works, because I'm still able to log into my application account...probably doesn't mean anything...yet...

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

ndseg wrote:hmmm...unsure, because I'm also able to do the same, curious if that's just the way ndseg works, because I'm still able to log into my application account...probably doesn't mean anything...yet...
I'm getting increasingly excited, because that being the way NDSEG works would make no sense. Two bits of information are provided: an award overview, and a way to change your contact information. I'm not sure why they would go to the trouble of setting up award accounts for everyone who applied (thousands) and then shut down the accounts after the word came down from on high.

However, I must be circumspect. It's very likely we'll hear back today and all will be answered.

Waiting .... waiting .... waiting ...

WaitingIsFun

Post by WaitingIsFun »

I wouldn't be surprised if we heard something today. Big government announcements are notoriously made when they can be followed up with multiple off and/or vacation days.

ummmm

Post by ummmm »

just to get it out there, for those who applied to both NDSEG & SMART,

everyone can log onto the empty awards page for NDSEG
nobody (yet) can log onto the awards page for SMART

Curious

Post by Curious »

ummmm wrote:just to get it out there, for those who applied to both NDSEG & SMART,

How do you know that "everyone" can log onto the empty awards? Is there a forum I should paying attention to that I don't know about?

ummmm

Post by ummmm »

Curious wrote:
ummmm wrote:just to get it out there, for those who applied to both NDSEG & SMART,

How do you know that "everyone" can log onto the empty awards? Is there a forum I should paying attention to that I don't know about?
http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/3062 ... ge__st__60

ummmm

Post by ummmm »

ummmm wrote:
Curious wrote:

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/3062 ... ge__st__60
something seems to be going down on the ndseg website.

Post by Guest »

...anyone else think it's a bad omen if they send out notification on Friday the 13th?

GuestSK

Post by GuestSK »

Guest wrote:...anyone else think it's a bad omen if they send out notification on Friday the 13th?
Nah, it might just be our lucky day!

Guest 2012

Post by Guest 2012 »

Anxious,

You get your account registered yet?

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Last year they sent notifications on april fools day. This year I wouldn't be suprised if they announce the winners on friday the 13th.

I think someone in SMART has a dark sence of humor.

fish_

Post by fish_ »

you guys are talking about the 1st round recipients. last year, 2nd round recipients didn't find out until may

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

fish_ wrote:you guys are talking about the 1st round recipients. last year, 2nd round recipients didn't find out until may
Another dose of awesome. I would just like to know, please and thank you.

aerostudd

Post by aerostudd »

Damn it, I want to know already. This scholarship would be HUGE for me. It would allow me to quit my job and focus on my studies.

Would it make sense that if there were substantial budget cuts, they would cut funding for scholars who were focused on areas that aren't necessarily immediately important. No offense anybody, but would you see them cutting funding for say a Mathematics or a Bioscience major instead of a Mechanical Engineer/Electrical Engineer? I know a lot of the engineers are working on projects that are in actually in development or have been in development for years. Would these people be favored over some that are just doing research?

I'm really not trying to offend anybody with their majors, I am just super curious.

guest01234

Post by guest01234 »

Anyone know what the outlook is for civil engineers and if theres been word along the grapevine if there considered "needed" by the DOD this year?

BS in Civil Engineering with 12 years in Constuction and military- really hoping for this award ( so's my wife and kids!)

IGot2Know

Post by IGot2Know »

I am guessing that engineering majors have a good chance. I know that the DOD is in need of engineers. I am not sure what disciplines they need. I am a Junior working on my BS in Electrical Engineering. I am hoping I have a fighting chance. I emailed the branch chief that interviewed me at one of the bases asking what he knows about the timeframe for our award notices. He said that he heard the SMART program office has moved from the Naval Postgraduate School in CA to the Pentagon. He thinks that is part of the delay, but he is checking into the timeframe for me. I will let you all know when he gets back to me. Good luck to everybody.

gatsby

Post by gatsby »

I'm curious to know if anyone has been contacted by a Navy SF? And if so, which ones? It seems like most people who have mentioned being contacted have said the interested SF was Army or Air Force.

IGot2Know

Post by IGot2Know »

My facility was an Air Force facility.

WestToEast

Post by WestToEast »

I toured an Army SF and in the tour they showed me all the things the Civil Engineers were doing there, so I feel like they have demand for them, just maybe not this year. The whole thing is finding anticipated openings in the the DoD, so if someone is retiring or if someone just quit or transfered, they want to replace that person. I don't feel like there are a lot of new positions being opened up. At least that was the impression I got from my interview and interactions with the people at the SF

totolina

Post by totolina »

I had a phone interview with the navy SF NUWC and they mention that they will recommend me at the end of the interview. My impression for the lab was pretty good from what they told me about what they do there. Hopefully I will get the fellowship.