2012 Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
currentfed

Re: 2012 Applicants

Post by currentfed »

Chris Moulder wrote:You guys are just getting more neurotic as time goes on
I do feel pretty neurotic. I like how you can see the troughs for each weekend, and a small peak on each Friday. It seems that consensus is that Fridays are the most likely day for notification :)

Tico Suave

Post by Tico Suave »

Ok so I get a new error when trying to login to the awards page.
Either the email address or the password you entered is incorrect.
But when I try to reset password it still says that email doesn't exist?
Anyone else experiencing this?

Tico Suave

Post by Tico Suave »

Tico Suave wrote:Ok so I get a new error when trying to login to the awards page.
Either the email address or the password you entered is incorrect.
But when I try to reset password it still says that email doesn't exist?
Anyone else experiencing this?
Nevermind... I completely forgot that was the same as it had always been... I think I'm just delusional after all the waiting...

WaitingIsFun

Post by WaitingIsFun »

Well I have been unofficially told I didn't get into my first choice school and I am unwilling to go to my second choice without this scholarship which won't be processed in time for me to enroll so if I do recieve the award I will be promptly declining it.

Guess I get to do this all again in the fall of 2013.

Guest 2012

Post by Guest 2012 »

WaitingIsFun wrote:Well I have been unofficially told I didn't get into my first choice school and I am unwilling to go to my second choice without this scholarship which won't be processed in time for me to enroll so if I do recieve the award I will be promptly declining it.

Sorry to hear that :-/

On the bright side, you get to switch up things a bit and try a new name: ApplyingIsFun :-P

gatsby

Post by gatsby »

WaitingIsFun wrote:Well I have been unofficially told I didn't get into my first choice school and I am unwilling to go to my second choice without this scholarship which won't be processed in time for me to enroll so if I do recieve the award I will be promptly declining it.

That sucks, sorry to hear it. I hope ASEE/SPO/OGC get their act together before this kind of situation develops for many more people.

totolin3

Post by totolin3 »

If you do get the fellowship make sure you call your first choice school and inform them of your fellowship, they might change their mind. Some school wouldn't mind accepting a student who's fully funded. Things like this happens and it never hurts to try.

Post by Guest »

I would call school #2 and explain your situation. Worst case, they say no.

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

Tomorrow is three weeks since the "few week" delay. Here's to hoping to a government "few" isn't much longer.

gatsby

Post by gatsby »

2012_UMD wrote:Tomorrow is three weeks since the "few week" delay. Here's to hoping to a government "few" isn't much longer.
Yeah, it would be nice if they at least gave us an update sometime this week.

bulldog

Post by bulldog »

Looking back at this year's and last year's emails, I've received communication from SMART on just about every weekday other than Thursday, with Wednesday being the most frequent day. Here's hoping today is the day.

guestypants

Post by guestypants »

bulldog wrote:Looking back at this year's and last year's emails, I've received communication from SMART on just about every weekday other than Thursday, with Wednesday being the most frequent day. Here's hoping today is the day.
All the emails I have received from them so far have been before noon, although I know people finding out last year found out late in the day. So who know?!? Here is to hoping!

reallyHoping

Post by reallyHoping »

guestypants wrote:
bulldog wrote:Looking back at this year's and last year's emails, I've received communication from SMART on just about every weekday other than Thursday, with Wednesday being the most frequent day. Here's hoping today is the day.
All the emails I have received from them so far have been before noon, although I know people finding out last year found out late in the day. So who know?!? Here is to hoping!
I really really really really hope what you guys said comes true for us this year. Just wondering, is there anyone in this forum who is interested in working at SPAWAR? I'm very interested in it and I was wondering if there were others. Just to tell you guys a little about myself: I'm a 2nd year M.S/Ph.D student in the ECE department at UCSD.

In_Stitches

Post by In_Stitches »

Until someone (more than one person, actually) can log in to https://smart.asee.org/award, I'm not expecting an email.

Post by Guest »

In_Stitches wrote:Until someone (more than one person, actually) can log in to https://smart.asee.org/award, I'm not expecting an email.
until someone gets an email, i'm not gonna try anymore. :/

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

anonymous711 wrote:Don't give up hope! At this point, no news is good news, as I don't think anyone's found out anything. Remember you have a one in two chance at this point!
How do you figure that? According to the old schedule having your name put forth puts you at a 66% of getting picked. (Though, with the modifications being discussed, who knows how that will change)

IWant2KnowWhen

Post by IWant2KnowWhen »

I just emailed the ASEE SMART team today. Here is what they replied.

"As of today there is no additional update available from the Department of Defense. Once ASEE receives an update we will send a notification to all applicants. Thank you for your continued interest in the SMART Scholarship Program.

The ASEE SMART Scholarship Team"

I hope they hear soon.

astam006

Post by astam006 »

When you guys try to enter the awards page, does it tell you that your username or password is incorrect? Just want to make sure I'm getting the "right" error message..

GT 2012

Post by GT 2012 »

IWant2KnowWhen wrote:I just emailed the ASEE SMART team today. Here is what they replied.

"As of today there is no additional update available from the Department of Defense. Once ASEE receives an update we will send a notification to all applicants. Thank you for your continued interest in the SMART Scholarship Program.

I hope they hear soon.
Thanks for emailing them. I'm about to lose my damn mind.

asdff

Post by asdff »

IWant2KnowWhen wrote:I just emailed the ASEE SMART team today. Here is what they replied.

I hope they hear soon.
Did you ask them if they had any idea when they would be sending out notifications? Or did you just ask if they had any updates?

curiousGeorge

Post by curiousGeorge »

I'm curious. Where did you get the plot you showed in your earlier post? It's very interesting.

smartypants

Post by smartypants »

curiousGeorge wrote:
I'm curious. Where did you get the plot you showed in your earlier post? It's very interesting.
looks like google analytics

IWant2KnowWhen

Post by IWant2KnowWhen »

asdff wrote:

I hope they hear soon.
Did you ask them if they had any idea when they would be sending out notifications? Or did you just ask if they had any updates?
I told them that I have some decisions I need to make really soon based on the award notice. I asked what the timeframe was for the notices to come out. What I posted above was all they told me in the email.

keyes120

Post by keyes120 »

I hope they hear soon.
Well I just lost all hope of getting notified this week.

guest4today

Post by guest4today »

2012_UMD wrote:Tomorrow is three weeks since the "few week" delay. Here's to hoping to a government "few" isn't much longer.
I work for the DOD...

couple = 2
few = 3 or 4
many = 5 or more