In my second degree program. Am I eligible?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
ra25093

In my second degree program. Am I eligible?

Post by ra25093 »

I have a BS in biology I got in 2010 with a GPA of 3.57, so I did pretty well there. I've been working for 3 years in pharmaceutical research, so I have a fair amount of scientific experience.

However, I went into biology for the wrong reasons ("oh, I'll go to med school, it'll pay well, my parents will be proud, etc.") and it's simply not my field. I'm back in for mechanical engineering and I want to work in naval architecture/marine engineering so I feel like the SMART program would be an excellent fit for me, since NAVSEA is a big part of the DOD lab groups involved.

If, of course, I'm still eligible to receive the scholarship. I can't find anything on the site that says I wouldn't be, but does anybody know if it's a rule, written or unspoken?

Guest007

Re: In my second degree program. Am I eligible?

Post by Guest007 »

I don't think so. I'm in school for a second BS degree and I applied for NREIP last year and was awarded the internship. Since NREIP is ran out of the same office as SMART, I don't see why one program would accept second degree students and the other wouldn't. Hope this helps.

~007

Guest007

Post by Guest007 »

ra25093 wrote:
If, of course, I'm still eligible to receive the scholarship. I can't find anything on the site that says I wouldn't be, but does anybody know if it's a rule, written or unspoken?
Sorry, I think I may have been unclear. Yes I think you are eligible. "No I do not think so," was a response to the above statement. I do not think that there is a rule that states second degree students are ineligible.

finemmm

Post by finemmm »

Having multiple degrees is fine. I was accepted to the SMART scholarship program for a PhD and had a bachelors and two masters degrees prior to starting the PhD program.