Should I accept a job offer?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Aribter

Should I accept a job offer?

Post by Aribter »

Hi everyone. It's April 1 and I still haven't received clearance. I'm supposed to start this May and haven't received clearance for any of the internships either. I feel like I may not get clearance? I need secret clearance.

I need to get a job and have a referral to a small startup through a friend but it would be really unfair if my friend were to suffer bad reputation if SMART then cleared me and I had to leave. Any thoughts?

Re: Should I accept a job offer?

Post by Guest »

I would continue to wait. As of now, it’s not looking very good for any of us to have our internships fulfilled due to all of the restrictions and everything that is going on. If you haven’t recently, contact your facility POC as well as your SMART POC, and let them know. Often times they have forgotten and they will get on it if you let them know.

With another job, I would be very careful. Under your contract, you are allowed to accept another job, but you cannot exceed 16 hours per week at a taxable job. This information can also be found in the scholar handbook.

malarious

Post by malarious »

So, your mileage may vary but I have been waiting on Clearance since September of 2017. I graduated in December and have heard nothing so far on clearance or, obviously, start date. I do not know, at this juncture, how long clearances take overall.

If you take an offer and it is over 16 weeks, you will lose your stipend check, but last I knew you could accept another job while waiting.

You would be expected to go to SMART after being cleared though, failure to do so will convert your award into a debt to be repaid.

Arbiter

Post by Arbiter »

So you've been waiting 2 years and haven't had to repay any debt?

Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Just for one data point to imply that if your clearances are taking that long there is SOMETHING weird going on somewhere (might have to do with the bureaucracy, and not you) and backup plans might be advisable:

I was extended an offer by one of the major national defense contractors and submitted my SF86 early November. My interim came in roughly 5 weeks and my full clearance went through early march. So basically total turn around time of ~4 months.

Things to note: I DID have a clearance before from SMART before it lapsed due to my degree taking so damn long, and I led a...very boring life during grad school so there was basically nothing interesting. However, they did feel the need to interview me regarding SMART because that whole ordeal essentially counted as 'being fired' and that trips flags in their system.

[[ASIDE: So unless you come off as having a blood vendetta against the DoD/US Government as a whole, or so financially strapped they think you're a blackmail risk (which if you explain things should be mitigated), running afoul of SMART will ***NOT*** cause you to lose/get denied a clearance -- some people have been afraid of this and even said SMART suggested that defaulting/quitting might be held against them in future clearances, do not believe them]]

During my interview with the DCSA agent in February, he stated that at that time they had minimal backlog on these when I asked about how long it might take to finish (caveat: #BeforeCCPvirus) .

I have no idea WHY it would be taking years without a determination...if I had to bet money I'd say that's a fuckup on SMART's end more so than any other option but it's a very opaque process so who really knows. It's not a good situation to be in...so of course SMART just leaves you twisting in the wind with no information, as they do.

malarious

Post by malarious »

Arbiter wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:34 pm
So you've been waiting 2 years and haven't had to repay any debt?
Correct. I am being paid my stipend to wait now.

malarious

Post by malarious »

Sisyphus wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 pm
Just for one data point to imply that if your clearances are taking that long there is SOMETHING weird going on somewhere (might have to do with the bureaucracy, and not you) and backup plans might be advisable:

I was extended an offer by one of the major national defense contractors and submitted my SF86 early November. My interim came in roughly 5 weeks and my full clearance went through early march. So basically total turn around time of ~4 months.

Things to note: I DID have a clearance before from SMART before it lapsed due to my degree taking so damn long, and I led a...very boring life during grad school so there was basically nothing interesting. However, they did feel the need to interview me regarding SMART because that whole ordeal essentially counted as 'being fired' and that trips flags in their system.

[[ASIDE: So unless you come off as having a blood vendetta against the DoD/US Government as a whole, or so financially strapped they think you're a blackmail risk (which if you explain things should be mitigated), running afoul of SMART will ***NOT*** cause you to lose/get denied a clearance -- some people have been afraid of this and even said SMART suggested that defaulting/quitting might be held against them in future clearances, do not believe them]]

During my interview with the DCSA agent in February, he stated that at that time they had minimal backlog on these when I asked about how long it might take to finish (caveat: #BeforeCCPvirus) .

I have no idea WHY it would be taking years without a determination...if I had to bet money I'd say that's a fuckup on SMART's end more so than any other option but it's a very opaque process so who really knows. It's not a good situation to be in...so of course SMART just leaves you twisting in the wind with no information, as they do.
I wouldn't be shocked if SMART messed something up. I have been to Japan twice during SMART, thought that may be the delay. I have requested they check in it but my SF liaison does not reply timely.

Post by Guest »

I doubt your Japan travel would be a problem. Travel to western countries is not a concern. However, you were probably asked to report your foreign travel. If you did not do this as requested then it could be a concern.

malarious

Post by malarious »

I submitted the form each time in advance.