Switching SF

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Zoe64493

Switching SF

Post by Zoe64493 »

So as a little bit of background, I am an Aerospace engineering student and a phase 0 smart scholar. Even though I am an aerospace major and I am required to take about 1 cs class, I was assigned to the IT department of an airforce base. Which I have little to no interest in being tied to for the next 8 years. So my question is, is there any way to switch SFs? Has anyone done it successfully?

thx

Re: Switching SF

Post by Guest »

LCMC?

Zoe64493

Post by Zoe64493 »

Guest wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:52 pm
LCMC?
?

Post by Guest »

?

smart

Post by smart »

Which I have little to no interest in being tied to for the next 8 years.
How do you come up with 8 years? The SMART limit is 5. It is a recommended practice to not be in the smart program for more than a few years. If you end up in a job you hate, you are stuck for the service requirement.
So my question is, is there any way to switch SFs? Has anyone done it successfully?
There are stories of people switching SFs, but not for reasons such as not liking your job. Or at least those are rare. You can search these forums and find plenty of horror stories of people hating their jobs or SFs and being stuck there. Once you start accepting funding from SMART, assume you are locked into that position.

I doubt there is a way to change to change SFs in phase 0.

If you are Phase 0 and do not like the SF or potential future job, wait until after the SF visit to judge to learn more. If you are positive you will not enjoy the job, decline the award - unless you are willing to trade the scholarship and stipend for years of a bad job.

Zoe64493 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:15 pm
Guest wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:52 pm
LCMC?
?
I'm assuming: Life Cycle Management Center

human234895

Post by human234895 »

Zoe64493 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:54 pm
So my question is, is there any way to switch SFs? Has anyone done it successfully?
Yes, but afaik it's only something that's allowed if circumstances force the situation (abusive workplace environment, SF no longer able to hire you, etc.). If you do not want to work for your SF, you should not accept the award. Your service agreement is to that specific SF, not to SMART or the DoD at large. Transfers are technically possible, but are not easy and are not carried out at the whim of the scholar from what I understand. Additionally, SMART determines what your new SF will be. You can always provide input, but there is no language indicating that you can choose a new facility of your liking after signing the service agreement.

Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

human234895 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:27 pm
Zoe64493 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:54 pm
Yes, but afaik it's only something that's allowed if circumstances force the situation (abusive workplace environment, SF no longer able to hire you, etc.). If you do not want to work for your SF, you should not accept the award. Your service agreement is to that specific SF, not to SMART or the DoD at large. Transfers are technically possible, but are not easy and are not carried out at the whim of the scholar from what I understand. Additionally, SMART determines what your new SF will be. You can always provide input, but there is no language indicating that you can choose a new facility of your liking after signing the service agreement.
What has been written here, only worse. SMART has a track record of, even in cases of clear hostile work environment (documented hazing and abuse), or pay discrimination, throwing participants out of the program for daring to refuse to go work at their SF. Luckily, the two cases I mentioned didn't have the debt enforced after years long anxiety inducing 'review' processes but you don't want to play that game.

If you sign on the dotted line for SMART, you will be considered the chattel of your SF (all of that "this is about getting you into the wider DoD sphere and transfers are possible" that I remember being told during orientation is a blatant lie, dunno if they still spin that bullshit).

You will be allowed to switch facilities only at the initiation and blessing of your original SF [ANY whiff that it was you who initiated the process and at best expect to get attacked by SMART for being an uppity ungrateful piece of shit and threatened with termination] and afterward SMART will pimp you out elsewhere without any regard to where you want to go unless you just manage to roll a nat 100 in all the relevant circumstances of lining up another SF to bid for you without SMART catching wind of it.

If it sounds like I'm exaggerating, based on the stories of people who have had run ins with bad SFs and the SPO I can assure you I am not in the slightest.

scheffc

Post by scheffc »

I successfully changed my SF and actually networked my way to my original 1st choice facility. As mentioned above, it generally takes a unique situation. Unfortunately for me, mine was the death of my partner. We made the decision to accept moving to / living in the state where my original SF was together and partly because it was close to her family. I did one in-person internship after her death and being there without her was too painful. The SF was great in the end and helped me transfer somewhere better for me. Do not count on being able to transfer SF. It is highly discouraged.