Looking for a new SF

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Smithsonian

Looking for a new SF

Post by Smithsonian »

Howdy, so I am currently completing my summer internship. I am graduating in December with a bachelor's in Electrical Engineering. At my current SF there are no open positions for me to start in once I've graduated. Ive had conversations with my POC here at the the SF and we've agreed that there isn't anything here for me. So they are on board with me switching SF. I've read a few threads about changing SFs but most people already have contacts at their new SF. I guess my question is how did you get these contacts at the different SF? Ive found it very hard to find any information. Any help is greatly appreciated!

human234895

Re: Looking for a new SF

Post by human234895 »

It sounds like some applicants had luck sending cold emails to SFs and asking to be put in touch with the SMART program contact in HR. Other than that, you could join the discord and ask for other scholars in your field to put you in touch with contacts at their SFs. You probably have already, but make sure you ask your current POC/supervisor if they have any contacts at other SFs?

I assume you're aware, but FYI: only SMART has the authority to change your SF. I guess having a contact lined up could help convince them to switch you to a particular SF, but it's ultimately their choice.

Post by Guest »

Nothing surprises me from SMART, but it would be indefensible if they refused to provide facility contacts to someone in your position. Try identifying a few facilities that really make sense and ask nicely.

Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Guest wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:25 pm
Nothing surprises me from SMART, but it would be indefensible if they refused to provide facility contacts to someone in your position. Try identifying a few facilities that really make sense and ask nicely.
Because it is my job to be 'that guy' SMART has *literally* done this before (but it was because of a hostile work environment, not because the SF had no positions available). Said participant went "back in the open pool" but SMART never assigned them a new SF and so upon graduating they did something else (military service)...

SMART came for him wanting repayment.

He won his debt appeal and got it waived in the end, but SMART literally has done this sort of shit before. They are that incompetent and malicious.

malarious

Post by malarious »

Smithsonian wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:11 pm
Howdy, so I am currently completing my summer internship. I am graduating in December with a bachelor's in Electrical Engineering. At my current SF there are no open positions for me to start in once I've graduated. Ive had conversations with my POC here at the the SF and we've agreed that there isn't anything here for me. So they are on board with me switching SF. I've read a few threads about changing SFs but most people already have contacts at their new SF. I guess my question is how did you get these contacts at the different SF? Ive found it very hard to find any information. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Just to throw in some advice, look at what SF's you have that you are willing to consider. My SF uses the Lab Demo payscale and had an initial offer that was significantly higher than I was lead to believe (I was told GS-7 scale is starting, and they offered above its max). I have all the same benefits, plus higher starting salary, raises are % based (instead of steps), and we get a bonus each year based on personal performance.

Gh1245

Post by Gh1245 »

SMART will not tell you this directly but as long as you apply for a job within the DOD and work as a civilian you will not have to pay the debt back. I had a similar circumstance and basically had to withdraw from the program and got another job within DoD that was better aligned with my work. I sent Smart over my SF-50 form and a group within the secretary of defense office now tracks to ensure I complete the commitment. SMART told me a lot of scholars get shafted on this because they’ll find a contract position not civilian on the GS pay scale. I also had the support of my sponsoring facility, they even sent my resume to other facilities to get me aboard. The facility I now work in is not affiliated with SMART as an SF but since it is still under DoD I am covered. I honestly think it’s better a lot of the SMART SFS under pay you and don’t give moving allowances or recruitment incentives.