internship duration

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
intern22

internship duration

Post by intern22 »

It will be first internship in Summer 2022.
SF has asked me for my preferred dates, as long as the duration is between 8 to 12 weeks.
From your experience, does your SF like it better if you do the internship up to 12 weeks or it doesn’t matter?

Vandal

Re: internship duration

Post by Vandal »

What I recall from my experience during internships (I'm in phase 2 now) is that my SF didn't really have any preference for longer or shorter. Since you're still only an intern and cant take on large projects, you'll mostly be doing work that's not very important and tbh rather tedious/menial. Personally I would still suggest going for the 12 weeks if you have the ability to though. I had my internship for 10 weeks and once you're already there for that long the "extra" 2 weeks wouldn't have been difficult at all, but the extra money from the extra time isn't something to scoff at.

Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Do you get paid an additional salary for summer internships in addition to the stipend? If so, what is an average summer internship salary?

Vandal

Post by Vandal »

I cant speak for "average" but mine was ~$1k per week if I recall correctly. That being said I'm pretty sure theres a requirement that you have to have your listed address as over X amount of miles (50mi?) away from your SF in order to qualify for the extra internship support payments, otherwise youre just expected to complete your internship without the extra weekly amounts since youre not having to worry about relocating/new rent during that time.

Post by Guest »

Thanks. That info is very helpful!