SMART 2104 status?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Wondering

SMART 2104 status?

Post by Wondering »

Has anyone been contacted for an interview yet? We're half way through April... I was just wondering if anyone has received additional communication from SMART or from any of the sponsoring facilities?

wallarelvo

Re: SMART 2104 status?

Post by wallarelvo »

I haven't heard anything yet. I have been checking this website like crazy to see if anybody has heard anything.

braumeister

Post by braumeister »

I had a phone interview with one of the sponsoring facilities that wasn't on my list. I was very interested in the work itself and expressed that I would be willing to come down there should I be selected. In summary, it looks like our paperwork is out there in the world.

DoD123

Post by DoD123 »

Someone I know was contacted about attending an in person interview today.

guest28

Post by guest28 »

For those who have gotten phone or in person interviews, I'm curious what field you are studying. It may help the rest of us to see what areas may be moving faster than others. Thanks!

jjm390

Post by jjm390 »

guest28 wrote:For those who have gotten phone or in person interviews, I'm curious what field you are studying. It may help the rest of us to see what areas may be moving faster than others. Thanks!
I have a phone interview tomorrow (later today?) witha facility that I did not initially select.

I am a PhD Computer Science student specializing in scientific data analysis & visualization. I have aprox. 3.5 years remaining in my degree, and am a Navy veteran.

The sponsoring facility calling me tomorrow is the Air Force Research lab, munitions directorate at Eglin AFB.

Post by Guest »

jjm390 wrote:
guest28 wrote:For those who have gotten phone or in person interviews, I'm curious what field you are studying. It may help the rest of us to see what areas may be moving faster than others. Thanks!
I have a phone interview tomorrow (later today?) witha facility that I did not initially select.

I am a PhD Computer Science student specializing in scientific data analysis & visualization. I have aprox. 3.5 years remaining in my degree, and am a Navy veteran.

The sponsoring facility calling me tomorrow is the Air Force Research lab, munitions directorate at Eglin AFB.
I've also got a phone interview Thursday with Eglin AFB, also the AFRL, Munitions Directorate.

I'm a 1st-year PhD in Computer Science (so approximately, fingers crossed, 4 years to go), specializing in analysis-by-synthesis methods and applications of machine learning and signal processing in the area of accent conversion.

FLIRtech

Post by FLIRtech »

I received a call yesterday for a phone interview. It is at one the commands at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD.
Im a BS ECE major. I was wondering, do the SF pay you during the summer internships in between semesters?

jjm390

Post by jjm390 »

I received a second request for an interview from a SF I did not choose. This one at NAWS China Lake. My first interview (AFRL) said they would be making decisions next week. Don't know what that means for award anouncements, but it is more information. :)

wallarelvo

Post by wallarelvo »

I haven't heard anything, so I guess I am not getting in.... :/

guestagain

Post by guestagain »

FLIRtech wrote:I received a call yesterday for a phone interview. It is at one the commands at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD.
Im a BS ECE major. I was wondering, do the SF pay you during the summer internships in between semesters?
Do you know where specifically at APG? I am a current SMART Scholar and my SF is at APG.

Guess

Post by Guess »

I am curious if anyone has had a similar experience as I.

I applied to SMART but did not hear anything back. I was reading some forums in April, and I came across someone mentioning that SMART was in the second stage. I emailed ASEE and received this reply:
Yes, you should have received an email at the end of March updating you on your application status. It was a bulk email so perhaps it was blocked by your email filters. You were selected by the Department of Defense to move on to the next round of the application process. During this round the sponsoring facilities that participate in the SMART Scholarship Program are reviewing candidates and will reach out directly to those applicants in which they are interested. This round may last through April. Congratulations on making it to this next round. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
I had checked my spam folder and never received anything. I have yet to hear from anyone else in the program (SF, etc.)

jjm390

Post by jjm390 »

I just had another interview today, and the person interviewing me said SF selections are due on the 25th. Let's hope it won't take too long for selections to be announced!

NMT94

Post by NMT94 »

FLIRtech wrote:I received a call yesterday for a phone interview. It is at one the commands at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD.
I also got a call from them and am a BS ECE major. I think we must be getting close to the end of the process if the research facilities are preparing to file their suggestions.

Guess

Post by Guess »

What sort of questions do they ask in the telephone interviews? Is there any good way to prepare?

jjm390

Post by jjm390 »

Guess wrote:What sort of questions do they ask in the telephone interviews? Is there any good way to prepare?
Some questions I was asked on my first interview:
1) do you have any moral or religious objects to designing weapons
2) do you think you can excel in an environment where pay is directly tied to level of contribution? (This is the 'Lab Demo' pay system)
3) do you have any problem working in <area where the base is>
4) do you know of anything that can prevent you from obtaining an SCI level clearance?
5) what was the most challenging situation in school, and how did you overcome it
6) what was your favorite class and why?
7) where do you see yourself in 5 years?

My second interview was more along the lines of "tell me about yourself, and why you want to work for me." Sort of questions.

This is my experience... Your mileage may vary!

UMCEE

Post by UMCEE »

I'm a Freshman Civil Engineering major. I've had two interviews. One has already emailed to let me know I didn't get their position. I'm hoping I get offered the other one which is the one I wanted. I've been told they have to submit their choices by April 25. One interviewer indicated we will find out by the end of May and we'll have the first two weeks of June to accept.

EnvEng

Post by EnvEng »

Has anyone been interviewed or contacted by the USACE?

rickaero

Post by rickaero »

Have an interview scheduled with Robins AFB in Georgia for Tuesday. Sophomore pursuing a BS in Aerospace Engineering with a concentration in Autonomous Vehicle Systems. Anyone else hear back from them?

michael

Post by michael »

Got a call from an SF this week... he said that they are planning to select me... very exciting!

He also gave me this info regarding time: SFs have until May 6 to give the SMART offices a list of who they wish to select. The SMART offices should then be sending out award letters about a month after that.

jjm390

Post by jjm390 »

michael wrote:Got a call from an SF this week... he said that they are planning to select me... very exciting!

He also gave me this info regarding time: SFs have until May 6 to give the SMART offices a list of who they wish to select. The SMART offices should then be sending out award letters about a month after that.
And two weeks ago, this date was Apr 25th... we shall see! I have also been told I will be selected... by two separate facilities... wonder how that will work.... And I have yet another interview today...

hgk123

Post by hgk123 »

Most facilities have said they have already recommended the people they have chosen on April 25th. So if your getting an interview still at this point it's likely they have already recommended you but still want to speak with you. Goodluck everyone

neuRAO

Post by neuRAO »

Hi All,

Received the following email from SMART:

"Hello,

Sponsoring Facilities do not always interview individuals they are interested in funding. Some facilities choose to conduct interviews and others do not, so whether or not an applicant is contacted is not indicative of whether or not they can expect an award. Currently, it is expected that interviews will be completed this month, and award notices will also go out this month.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

ASEE"

I'm unsure which sites interview and which do not but I guess this gives anyone who has not yet received a call some hope!

GE313

Post by GE313 »

Nice, thanks for the hope! Good luck everyone!

Post by Guest »

My son just got an unofficial offer from a SF (and maybe more to come). He did not have any interviews. So "no interview" does NOT mean "no offer". Good luck to all.